Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1150E PTO output shaft broke !

Timberking ยท 2018-06-27 21:23

The PTO output shaft on the back of my 1150E has been snapped/ broke !!... Winch failed while at high RPM and twisted it right off at the first oil port hole on the shaft.... Does anyone know if this can be replaced without removing the trans ?!.. And where in the world does a man source these kinda of parts ?!... I'm shut down entirly and have no $ coming in untill I get this thing fixed so any advice/ input or insight is much appreciated !!

Replies16
  1. #1alrman2018-06-28 07:46

    Wow! This is repairable by removing the rear cover. But, if you have never done this before, there are a few things that can occur that can complicate your repair. The pto shaft (gear wheel - item #10) is part of a planetary gear set, so it is quite a substantial item to buy. You will need to search via it's part number - which at present is 1348878C2 - you could also try searching by it's old part number of A50964. To purchase a new one from CNH may not be possible, but by all means, try your local Case dealer & get a price & availability - then start calling all the bone yards..... (Google doesn't really give many options ATM, so actually calling machinery wreckers is your best option.) The PTO shafts can sometimes be a little loose in the carrier housing, that is not good, so be aware of that when looking for a suitable used one. If you don't have one yet, a service repair manual should be purchased before anything else....

  2. #2Timberking2018-06-28 19:26

    alrman, thanks for your reply.... I have located one at a bone yard out of a 1150B which from what I can tell is the same shaft that is in my 1150E... The shaft I am buying from them (from 1150B) is part # A50964.... But beings this is the old superceeded part # for my 1150E, will it still work ?!... Being able to replace from rear cover is great news as well !! Sheeeww... Load of my shoulders there, thanks !!! My one other question is that they are selling me the PTO shaft only, they are pressing the shaft out of the carrier housing... I will then have to press it into my carrier housing.... Will it be ok to do this ?!... Is the PTO shaft splined on the carrier end and just pressed in or ? And I do have a repair manual as well which helps greatly !! Thanks for your help !!!

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-06-28 19:49

    Maybe you could ask them to leave the one you are buying pressed together, and give them the one on your broken shaft.

  4. #4hosspuller2018-06-28 23:06

    A few questions .. Are the planetary gears matched in some way ? Clearances perhaps ? It might be better to reuse the existing gears and carrier by changing only the broken part if so. Seems like only a spline drives it. On the other hand... A "loose PTO shaft in the carrier housing" is disguised by removing it from the carrier housing. One either has to get measurements or check prior to purchase.

  5. #5Timberking2018-06-28 23:36

    Well, they are selling me just the staft because they wanted ALOT more for the whole assembly... And I know my carrier is good so I figured it would be ok

  6. #6alrman2018-06-28 23:51

    @Timberking That's good news on finding another shaft, or half of one anyways.... An 1150B shaft is the same as your E model - so no worries there. Yes you can press out the shaft from the carrier, but it is a worry, if it will be loose when fitted to yours...... Be certain there is no hard facing coming off it where the low range drum torrington bearings run on it - because that will cause problems with bearing life in the future. Also check the oil control ring groove widths, cause an old B model may have run with broken rings & worn the grooves. I found an old shaft that I had replaced years ago, so you can see what it looks like out of the carrier housing. If the shaft is loose in the housing, I have had the spline & machined end metal sprayed & then installed with a heap of loctite. Most of the metal spray material comes off during the install, but the flake seems to do a reasonable job of "filling the gaps". It's not a text book repair, but if better parts aren't available at the time.... well, you just do the best you can.

  7. #7Timberking2018-06-29 00:10
  8. #8alrman2018-06-29 00:24

    No doubt about it - it's broken!

  9. #9Timberking2018-06-29 00:30

    Thanks for taking the time to upload the picw Alrman !! Here is a couple of where mine broke... I am assuming your shaft has the metal rings on each side of the oil ports and that i just cant see them in the pic... Im gonna check the replacement over real good with a mic... At this point all I can do is hope it's a tight fit within the carrier and if not, I'll have to figure a way to make it a tight fit as alrman suggested... I really appreciate your help Alrman, as well as everyone else's... I now feel alot better about all this considering that when it happen I was more then panic stricken, lol... I'll post pics and keep everyone updated throughout the repair.. I figured 4-5 hour job I'f everything goes smooth..

  10. #10alrman2018-06-29 00:40

    There's a good chance the low range clutch plates will have worn teeth, maybe some plates will have them missing completely. The rear cover gasket acts as a spacer as well as a seal - some genuine new parts may also be required.

  11. #11Timberking2018-07-06 01:38

    Hey Alrman, Do I need to remove both left & right reverse clutch's and thier gears to remove the high range clutch assmbly ?!... The book says to remove the reverse clutch & thier gears before removing the PTO high range clutch assmbly...but it's also the the written procedure to competely disasemble the tranamission All together... I'm just removing the high & low clutch assembly and reinstalling it, not comletly dismantling the trans... Would you happen to know ?!... Thanks in advance ...

  12. #12Timberking2018-07-06 18:45

    I ended up buying the whole assmbly

  13. #13alrman2018-07-06 18:46

    Yes @Timberking Just follow the dismantling instructions as per the manual. In this case, they are the same if the transmission is in the machine or not. TIP - Be careful when removing the rear cover & the reverse packs & gears - be certain the two upper direction shafts don't slide out with them. This will cause plates in high range (in the front of the transmission) to drop & prevent the shafts from returning to their original positions.

  14. #14Timberking2018-07-06 18:54

    I ended up buying the whole assembly just to be on the safe side... It's in excellent shape and the shaft is good & tight within the carrier so I figured it was best to leave it that way and swap out carrier and all... I was worried that the shaft may have not been tight in my carrier once pressed in...

  15. #15alrman2018-07-06 19:17

    Great! Oil control ring grooves OK? Maybe a good idea to swap the planetary gears from your old shaft over to the new one.

  16. #16Timberking2018-07-06 19:35

    Yep.. Oil ring groves are in great shape with no damage.... And I also thought about that and I agree, I've decided to swap the drive gears & pinion gears from my old assembly over to this new one.... That way they retain the same wear pattern between them