Is there ANY fans of the Case skid steers? I got screwed by the rental outfit, was supposed to recieve a JD 317, great little hilly skid steer. Here shows up a case 420. It amazes me no one has been killed in and/or around one of these. I've run every major make of skid steer, loader, tractors, hoes trucks, and nothing has made me feel as stupid as these case machines. One other time 90xt was dropped of, I tried it, loaded it up and took it back! and SWORE up and down back and forth that I'd never run one on a job again. Here it is the Sat. the rental company drops it of at 4:30 (really late) and every other rental shop in the area is closed, and I've got 2 days of work to do. now three!:Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead :Banghead
i've run alot of different skid steers also and i've always thought case were one of the better ones, what don't you like about them?
In my opinion an 1845C was the best skidloader ever made. I think it was a terrrible mistake when they discontinued that line and brought out that XT or whatever line. Even Case salesmen will acknowledge that fact. Case skidloaders are an acquired taste. When you first run one they seem so crude and cheaply built, but after a while they grow on you. That 420 is a little better but if you're used to anything else you'll hate it.
Hydraulic controls with the 1845 the wrist operated controls were way better. The swing of the stick on these new ones is so large that once the spool on the dsv opens you've stretched your arm out 2ft . I've got long arms and I have difficulty trying to navigate over 3 sq. ft. I had a buddy that has also run skid steers and he jumped out and asked if I had a toilet to clean.
I've had an 1845C for about seven years now. The Case dealer dropped off a 1999 95XT for me to try out and I decided to keep my old one as I feel more comfortable using it. The 95XT was a nice and clean machine with 1680 hours and maintained well but as you say the hydraulic controls did not fit me comfortably. Rob
Welcome to HEF 51 Mack! :drinkup
I love Case skidsteers.:drinkup
The rental company came out Monday morning and switched out the case for the JD 317 . It had the wrist controls suprisingly similar to the case 1845. Instantly smoother (not perfect) very stiff even for 500 hrs. I personally did not like it. Cat's pilot system is very comfortable. I haven't tryed Bobcat's but I,ve heard no complaints, maybe a slight slower?
I have naver been a big fan of skid steers.I guess I never spent enough time on them to get any good!The Case skids were the only ones I liked,Then my boss in Wenatchee got an ASV.This is a machine!I loved to show up at a jobsite with the RC-60.I would get the "what is that for look?"It did`nt take long for the to figure it out.The production of that machine is amazing.
That is interesting. I guess that is why everyone builds a skid steer. There should be atleast one to fit everyones tastes. I have had 16 new CASE skid steers from an 1840 to the 465. How you can run one and not like them is beyond me. You can get them with pilot controls if you desire. Interesting hearing different points of view.
The last few weeks I have been working at a new Case dealership. They kind of frown on using Cat equipment so they have let me use a new 450 skidloader. Good lord, that thing is an animal. It will push my 287 back to Peoria. It took me about an hour to get comfortable with the controls again but after that it was smooth sailing. I guess we had a new 287C delivered this week and I'm sure I'll like it, especially for fine grading, but I can't honestly badmouth Case skidloaders any more now that I have run the new ones.
Sad to hear that the 287B doesn't have the guts, but you meant (Cat MTL-SSL are produced in NC.)
Controls are my issue. If Case has a pilot control system I'll try again and give an honest try. Let's also compare apples to apples, wheel loaders cannot be compared to tracked machines, each have their own advantages/disadvantages. I hear alot of guys who love their ASV. I've yet to try onethey have come along way, the first one I'd seen was long. A short operator could stretch his legs out. Mulcher head sales men have recomended them because of their pilot control system, there hyd. pump flow and cooling. Hopefully Perkins has improved their engines too.
Actually, I figured they were made overseas. We have a D6H with a big decal that says Proudly Made in The United States Of America.:usa They should promote that fact a liitle more in my opinion. I just wanted the corporate suits to see it. I really like the 287 though, just have to keep an open mind to other possibilities.
It must be you, because a Case skid is like an extension of my hand to me. Truly though, skid loaders are like pizza- everyone has a different idea about what makes a great one. The control systems on skids are not standardized, so everyone seems to like a different system. I ran a brand new JD 5575 and couldn't get much of anything done except demolition to things I didn't want demolished. Paul
Me, too. I really wanted the one that I ran almost every morning last summer... but alas I didn't make that much money. (And it wasn't for sale.) But I agree -- keeping an open mind is what will fuel innovation most strongly.
FYI Case has released new pilot control machines. You can get them in the ISO pattern(like Cat) or you can get them in the standard Case H pattern. We sell a ton of Case skidsteers. Performance wise I don't think any machine on the market will touch them. I live in the state where all of the bobcats are built. Everyone in ND grew up running a bobcat, with the foot pedals. The hardest thing we face in selling Case skidsteers, is getting people used to the controls. Once they do get use to them, it seems like they never go back to anything else. I will say it is much easier to get someone used to the ISO style controls, because it is similar to a loader/dozer/ control setup.
do the xt's have the h pattern controls like the 1845?
It is a little different. On the XT series instead of smaller wrist movement for your loader arms and your bucket ike on the 1845, it is a movemant of the entire control lever to the inside. You need to use your whole arm instead of just your wrist. I have heard but cannot confirm that part of the reason they changed it was because people were complaining of carpal tunnel problems with the 1845 style controls. That could just be a rumor though. If you can run an 1845, you won't have much of a problem switching to the xt series.
so can u multi task in them if u move the hole thing left and right? Can you move the right stick forward and sideways to say lift the bucket at the same time? Do they have foot throttles? I'm new to skid steers so excuse my lack of knowledge.
You can multitask just like you described. I always tell new operators to set the machine at about half throttle, and ease into the levers until they get comfortable. The hydraulics on the xt series can be quite a bit faster than what some people are use to. To the best of my knowledge, all of the xt series has foot throttles as a standard option. In the current 400 series from Case the foot throttle is an option. If you are looking at an XT and by chance it doesn't have a foot throttle, I believe it is relatively cheap and easy to install one after the fact.
great, i'm use to john deere tractor with foot throttle, i don't like hand throttle. Are 75xt's fairly powerful, i'll be doing a fair amount of dirt work and corral cleaning so i need something with some jam. Also thank you very much for your help, i've been searching on net for like a week now for a good forum site with great people and i found it.
I do not have a lot of experience with the 75xt. It should have plenty of power, and lift for what you want to do. Many of he ag dealers in our area have sold quite a few of them. I think you would be quite happy with a 75xt for what it sounds like you want to do. Just a note, the Case machines have a hand throttle as well as a foot throttle.
perfect, thanx for all your help! Marc
What kind of work was that? When I was younger it was a dream job for me to run a skid steer daily for a few months. It didn't happen though !
haha, i had the exact same dream too. I'm trying to make it come true right now. If i have to buy my own skid steer to make it happen i will.
I worked at Cat as intern engineer and put in extra time (not billed to the company; I was at "work" more than 40 hours a week but got paid for 40) to get to know the seats of various skid-steers.
Depending on the application, the 75XT may be fine. The machine is not turboed and if your working at higher elevations you will notice it. If the vertical lift is not an issue the 70XT is much more powerful. Although it has slightly less ROC (rated operating capacity). If your digging more than doing lift and carry operations the 70 is the way to go. If your application is more heavy duty the 85XT (vertical lift) is a more robust machine (heavy loader arms, heavier drive train). 70XT 85hp 2000 pound ROC 75XT 74 hp 2200 pound ROC 85XT 74 hp 2650 pound ROC
Welcome to HEF kyle! :drinkup
The funny thing is that at one place I worked they had two Case 1845 loaders and the guys liked them so much that I never got to try one! It was the dozer or track loader that I ended up with on any job. Wierd because I thought skid loaders were not well liked at all. Other guys thought the dozer was boring pulling the cable plow, and nobody liked moving the reels around with the track loader.
I like the Case Uniloaders. but in my opinion is whatever you started out with and are use to. They all have there good points and there bad points!
I dont see many case skid steers at all.. Buddy of mine had a 1845 got rid of it bought a deere and now hes back in a bobcat.. Theres gotta be something up because even when i pass big big job sites and i see case excavators theres either a bobcat or cat skid steer or track machine on site. Its either they dont make the newer case skids like the older ones or case is not pushing them who knows.. From what ive read i think case has the lowest market share out of all skid steers
NOOSE: Case does have a pilot system on the new 400 series skid steers. I have worked at a Case dealer for 19 years, best uniloader/skidsteer made was probably the 1840 and 1845C the things was bullet proof and simple. I see one of the posts mentions the 95xt, they were not the best thing Case ever made that and the and the 90XT. The new 400 series have had very few problems. The 410 is a little light in the back end we add a counterweight between the frame and existing weight to fix that. Case has not approved our fix but it works and we have had no problems. The early engines on the 410/420 had a head gasket issue. We probably sell more skid steers than the local JD and cat dealer combined, Case makes a great skidsteer, why the hell they got into rock trucks is beyond me. Even I wouldn't want a Case rock truck.
So you think case makes a better skid steer then bobcat??
On the original 400 series some machine were better than others. The 440, 450 and 465 are very strong and without a doubt some of the best in the industry in their class. The 420, 435 I thought were let down models. The 430 and 445 were average in comparison to the competetion. The Series 3 machines fixed the shortfalls of the 420 and 435. They put the heavier loader arms back on the 445. These machines all got stronger powerplants which is what they needed. The 440, 450 and 465 got more torque and they were already were class leading. They now make 288 foot pounds of torque. No wheeled machine makes more and only the PT100 makes more torque in a tracked machine. Bobcat has some extremely weak machines as well, and I am sure that with BC's soon to be released new machines they will correct that. I think its hard to quantify what better is. Obviously if I thought BC were more productive I would run them. I have demoed them frequently (whenever I trade a machine in) and they are weak in comparison to a comparable CASE machine. That may not be true when comparing all ROC classes but it certainly is the over 3K ROC class and the 2200 pound radial lift class. Although the 220 BC I thought was a decent machine overall . My 400 series machines have had rock solid reliability. My biggest complaint has been the cabs. The Series 3 machines have finally corrected the problem with a pressurized cab, however that cab should have been on the original 400 series.
I agree bobcat has some weak machines in there fleet but you have to remember they have a lot more skids and track machines then anyone else on the market. Some weak machines being the s175 and the t140 other then that i have ran every single model bobcat and most of them are great machines.. the s220 and s250 can do a serious amount of work. The s330 is like driving a mercedes. The t250 has some great digging power and the a300 actually has a ton of power when digging.. 463 s100 s130 there bulletproof machines
It has been a while since I have checked out a bobcat, but when I bought my 1845C back in 99 compared the equiv bobcat it was an easy choice for me. Everything seemed to be a little more stout on the Case. But like I said I havent looked at the new machines other than running my former boss' new deere. The only way I will trade the case will be if a bigger machine is justified. This thing has only been in the shop for maintenance in 10 years. Although it only has 1100 hours on it.
I found you by searching for case 75xt skid steer proplems.
Did you ever notice any problems with the case xt series?
just went from a bc 773 to a case 435 , im still getting use to the machine , it is a huge difference but so far its pretty good, i ran a 1845 way back when and had that thing dialed in pretty good but when we shopped for a SS the 773 was what we bought, it took me awhile to get use to the controls but i got a handle on it quickly , i feel the 435 will be a strong little machine and will most likely stick with case on the next SS but that will be along time from now
I love mine i have a 465 its got pilot operated hyd controls and i have never found a machine i like as much as this one its got a nice quiet cab and real good gauge and control lay out and really easy to work on. I am a case service tech also so i do repairs on these machines often and i know that they are very dependable machine not to many come in with much trouble unless they are abused machines.
Im looking at buying a 2001 case 1845c with 570 hrs on it. It was city owned and never been worked. Is there any common problems with the 1845 I shpuldm look for before closing the deal? the dealership did just repack all the cylinders because the seals were dry rotten. Im just parcail to a bobcat cat but for the $ I cant beat the 1845. Thanks
IMO I think they were one of the best skid steers ever built, and this is coming from an old Bobcat salesman
i love my asv's and pilot controls, the 1845C i have used wasnt a bad machine and i have owned or run many others but the asv rides the nicest and is the least fatigueing machine to run for long periods of time.
agreed!!
..of it's time ... I am a big Case fan but after running XT's and the 400 series skids I wouldn't take an 1845 even if given to me.
The newer Case are much nicer to run and operate. ALL the old 18 series while slower were very dependable. They are much simpler to work on and not nearly as much to go wrong, as most is mechanical, not computers and electronics.
Goes without saying Old trucks won't hang with the newer ones, but trucks such as the old F150 Rangers still rock.
I have operated a Case 60XT for approx 15 minutes after a construction business owner asked me to try it out, and see why his employees leave it parked at the shop and take the older 1845C's. I have to agree that the controls react differently than the older 1800 series, but I believe if I had more time on it I could get to like it. I do welding and fabrication on the side when not doing my full-time thing as a maintenance tech. A couple of the construction places I do fabricating and welding for, have asked me to sell them my 1845C. It is a 1992 model with just under 1900 hours on it. I really should consider it because I mostly use it to move heavy items on and off trucks that people bring for me to repair. A small gas or diesel forklift would actually be more suited to my needs. I just can't bring myself to parting with it even though I can get more than enough money ($13.500 last offer) for it, buy a used forklift, and still bank some money. Yes, many places/people still prefer the 1845C over the newer Cases and other brands, and they are willing to pay for them. I just hope Case keeps providing the parts. I heard that many of the skid and other off road equipment manufacturers are being pressured by the EPA to phase out parts for models that do not comply with the new emission standards for off road equipment. Whether there is any validity to this, I do not know.
The 1800 series machines are very dependable. They have a couple design issues that I hated (I owned 6 of them) the pin brake system was really not a good idea and along with that lack of a manually applied park brake. Compared to the newer machines the 1800 are not nearly as productive but I will say there is about half as much to go wrong with the older machines. That combined with the fact that the 1845 was the longest skid steer ever in continuous production of any skid steer says that they had plenty of practice getting it right. The post about someone finding a 2001 model with 570 hours for 12K is really an incredibly lucky find. I have no use for one but there are many that would take that deal in a second.
I am in the market to buy a used Case skidloader for both my use and use at my work. I work at a small speedway race track and we have Bobcat as a sponser (as it is I find it amusing when I borrow the 75xt having it out in the infield using it when we have huge bobcat banners on the racetrack hehe) The dealer usually gives us a machine to use for the summer. Though I don't know if he would approve of using them for my junkyard operation out back in the old quarry LOL. So far we have had about 4 diffrent used or rental S300 bobcats couple S250's and so on. I fell in love with a S300 with the ISO style pilot controls, added counter weights and foam filled tires on the rear. One of the best features about it was the 3 speed where you could put it in extra low gear for plenty of power when digging in hard packed dirt/gravel. He said he sold that one for like $20,000+ and for a unit with 1200 hours or so during the 200 or so hours we used it. It seemed like it was having constant problems with just about you name it electronics wise and going by as many other stupid problems we have had with all the fairley new bobcats we have had and I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me I couldn't afford the repair bills. I am pretty handy with repairs yet everything on the bobcats I have been clueless even where to start. I borrow a 75xt sometimes during the off seasons and when we don't have a loader form bobcat yet to do stuff with but it's defintally undersized for the stuff I do carrying cars around, digging in dirt and packed road millings but it dose work good for digging out snow drifts in the winter Seems like it's really easy to bogg the motor to where you accidently kill it when digging in packed dirt. Would a 95xt have more power then the 75xt to where no matter what you try to dig no matter how good the traction it has enough power to turn the tires over as the bucket gets full kinda like the ISO bobcat dose in extra low range? I only ask cause the 95xt and 75xt seem to have the same motor from what I have read and the way the 75xt boggs is kinda annoying when digging. As for the case NOTHING has ever went wrong with it and I have put almost 400 hours of pretty ROUGH use on it. But the expensees of borrowing it is getting to be more than it would be for me to buy my own. I have never used a 95xt but I found one not far from here for $12,000 for a 1997 model I belive with 3500 or so hours on it he thinks (it's at a dealer) he though it was single speed but don't all 95xt's come with the two speed? I defintally want to go with something big because in the day to day stuff we do I have had the S300's on the front wheels alot trying to carry stuff. Also before I go look at this machine is there anything else to look for on it beisdes the normal checks for lose pins, lose drive chains, any bent parts, weird noises, lack of power... stuff like that? I really need a wheel loader but that's not in the budget and you can't use all the skidsteer attachments with one of them so isn't a 95xt about the next best thing? O dosn anyone know if you can add Ride control to a unit that didn't come with it? I havent ever had a skidsteer with it but I am thinking the the one mile drive I do ALL the time transporting stuff over rough poorley paved terrain I would REALLY enjoy that feature. I am not in dire need of a machine right away so I can hold out for a later year with more options I want but for the price I don't know if I will find anything better? I know 2 speed is a MUST for as much travel as I do with it at work on their 20 acres of land. I hope KSSS replys to my post I would have just messeged him since he's appers to be the Case expert, but I can't since I am a new member Thanks for advice
Fast, the 75XT and 95XT both being built by CASE and being vertical lift are about as much as they have in common. The 75XT was essentially a lower cost 85XT built for the ag market (CASE had rules on who could sell what sized machines, big machines were CASE Construction only and the smaller machines could be sold by the ag stores), lower power, less reach and generally a lighter duty machine. The 95XT is production orientated skid steer. Built to run high flow attachments (up to 5000 psi when properly equipped) and built heavy enough for very demanding applications (to coin a phrase I would call it a proffessional grade skid steer). All 95XT as two speed. Ride control is a great feature although I don't know if its cost effective to add it later. 1997 was the first year they released. Downsides to the machine is that is heavy, and it uses fuel. Upside is it really is much like a small nonarticulating wheel loader. Very productive even compared to the latest machines. The resale is still very good on these machines in good shape. There really isn't any thing that I can think of to check specific to these machines. Just the same things you normally would, leaks, blow by, maybe have a dealer check the hyd flows, bucket pins etc. I have owned two 95XTs, a 1999 and 01. They are a tank. If you need that kind of productivity, they are pretty tough to beat. If you like the 75XT for what you do with it, you will think you died and went to heaven when running the 95XT. I appreciate the vote of confidence but other than the experience of owning a number of these machines, I am no ones expert.
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Case 450, cab, air and would like to know how dependable they are. I haven't seen it yet besides the picture but it looks to be in good condition, 3000 hours, says it has a Cummins diesel in it. How thirsty for fuel is it? It has no hi flo hyd. I'd like to put a woodsplitter on the loader and in the future maybe a tree shear or firewood processor. I prefer to do things quickly as I spread myself quite thin at many jobs and would like to see fast hydraulics. Should this 2008 450 be a series 3 or is there just 450's made in 2008? It looks to have been painted but I'll know more when I go look at it. The owner said he bought it new and it's always been shedded. Thanks
It does not have a Cummins it has a 4.5L Iveco. It should also be a Series 3. These are both good things. It could have pilot controls or servo. As far as fast hydraulics this machine is blazing. Reliability: I have never owned a 450 but they are much like a 465 which I can speak of. They are solid. I have always liked running these machines, amazing how fast the bucket functions are. Sounds like you would not be utilizing much of the capacity of this machine, likely overkill for your requirements but it would provide you with a lot of future capacity. When running at full capacity they use fuel, but when you factor the amount of material moved per gallon of fuel, they are good value. Your application sounds like the machine would mostly just be idling. While your still feeding a large engine, the fuel use at idle would be minimal.
As a back yard 1845c owner, what are "pilot controls" ?
basically there are small lower pressure hydraulic hoses that run to the servos attached to the sticks. The block has a constant feed and return at all times. Move the stick and it sends fluid down that hose which actuates that function. This is how it is set up on our Volvo loader, I haven't been inside a skid steer setup but assume it is similar. These are a reliable system that is responsive, but does not provide feedback really and is not easily customizeable. The newer electro-hydraulic (EH) controls are entirely fly-by-wire. These can be customized to the job at hand and offer more possibilities to the end user than the other styles of controls, but they rely entirely on wires and provide no feedback. They take some learning. However with them being run by wires they can now be mounted to the seat and moved where needed and the cab can be sealed tight with no need for holes for the levers to pop out.. Essentially they are the joystick you or your kids have for playing video games.
Hey KSSS, I am curious what you think! I have a cabin in Island Park and want to buy a skid steer to use up there. I have owned CAT skid steers in the past and have had great luck with them and I have loved the dealer support. Before buying my CAT's I had narrowed my choices down to CAT and Case, but wound up going for CAT. I am looking again and am curious what model of Case you would recommend for that environment. Also, which models have the cummins and which ones have the Iveco? Are the Ivecos any good? And last question for you is who is the dealer for eastern Idaho and how have they been for you? Thanks
None of the new ones have Cummins just IHI Shibaura in the smaller ones and Fiat Powertrain in the larger ones.
What do you think about the IHI or the Fiat engines? What engine is in the 410,420,430 and 440? Also do you guys think the "series three" is worth the extra money?
looks like the 410 had the IHI, up to the 445 had the 3.2 except the 440 had the 4.5 as did the larger models. IIRC the 4.5 was a Cummins based Iveco engine. Cummins, CNH and Iveco came together to form the European Engine Alliance. A few years ago, Cummins left and it was just CNH and Iveco, now everything is grouped under Fiat Powertrain technologies. The IHI engine was very good in the earlier New Hollands (Pre L100 series), the L100 series though was poor. Don't know if the same held true for Case or not. Time will tell with the L200 series. i haven't heard of many failures so its already doing better than the L100s at this point which were failing as early as 20 hours. The Iveco and FPT engines don't seem to have the big power band the older cummins engines had, but they make up for that in fuel efficiency and noise. They are reliable, and running good.
My Iveco experience is strictly with the 4.5. I can say after owning them for the past 6-7 years I would take it over the Cummings 3.9T. The powerband is feels more flat (doesnt pull down as easy) and they recover more quickly than did the 3.9T. I have not seen much difference in fuel usage to be honest. My 95XT's were thirsty and the 465's are the same but you can get a lot done with one. I have yet to have any engine downtime with either the Cummins or the Iveco which is pretty amazing considering thats almost two decades and over a dozen and half machines. Pioneer Equipment is the Case dealer for Eastern Idaho. I have been a customer since 1995. They take very good care of me. I just traded in a 440 with VTS, cab and heat which was an excellent machine, I am not sure if thats been sold yet or not, if it is there it certainly would be a good machine to pick up. Josh is the salesmans name at Pioneer, and he is a good guy to deal with, service manager is also excellent. The CAT dealership is pretty good here as well. They take good care of me when I need something, and I dont own a single piece of CAT equipment. I might buy a twin drum roller from them this year however.
did they ever use the 4.5 cummins in the machines (3.9 with longer stroke)? I'm assuming "ivecos" engine is based off of it much like their 6.7 is as well.
Have no problem with the 4.5 no matter who makes it. I would say the S3's are worth it especially if it is a cab machine.
How are the 3.2's with fuel consumption? Are they a lot better than the 4.5? I have been thinking of the 420, 440, 435, and 445. What are the plus and minuses of these machines and are there any inherent problems with any of these models?
KSSS, thanks for the heads up on your 440. I will have to drop by pioneer and chat with them. I appreciate all you guys responding to my questions! Thanks!
420- I think the S3 version of this machine is solid machine, the orginal 400 series was underpowered. Specs like the old 1845C. 440- To date this is my personal all time favorite CASE machine. Its got 4.5 power, its compact durable and very productive. 435- Much like the 420 the orginal version, this machine had a 3 cyl. the 435 has good lift capacity, not real powerful, I liken it to a cheaper version of the 445. lighter built, less hp. They have a purpose for guys that need such a machine. 445. This machine in S-3 dress is outstanding. It has the 3.2 Turbo, its basically just a smaller version of the 465, same lift arms. If I was going to be Isl. Park, I would want a turbo machine since you are at higher elev. I say this as a contractor, I am not sure what you really are planning to do with this machine. If you really plan on working the machine, the 440 either version and 445-S3 would be my choice, next if you need something a little smaller the 420- S3 and then the 435. You may want to look at the Alpha series machines. These newer machines are priced very well. Pioneer has a couple sitting on the lot, but they have moving fast. They have a TR270 (radial lift track machine), and a S175 that I saw yesterday. There is no doubt that the 3.2 is easier on fuel than the 4.5L.
I know this is an old thread but I had a Cat salesman say about the same thing about our old 1845C. They might not have all the bells and whistles of the newer machines but then if you don't need the bells and whistles and don't have them you don't have to worry about fixing them when the break. As we only use skidsteers for clean up in the quarry speed is not a major concern for us. Speedy machines could actually be a safety concern, especially with some of the newer "kids" they hire these days. Give them something too comfortable with joy sticks and they think they are playing a video game. We're lucky if we can get six months on a set of new tires and these machines don't work 40 hours a week, maybe 15!
would you be surprised if I told you thats not bad? Right around 400 hours is what a lot of farmers in the area are getting on their tires.
Then again some of the tires never wear out, get slashed on the sidewalls by hitting things. Had A JCB come to the shop with rim looking almost like a Valentine Heart. Was lucky on that one tire somehow avoided any major damage and a few well placed hits with BFH and a hosing out of tire to get the mud out was able to slip tire on and inflate and have back on loader in less than an hour. We were lucky and that "operator" took a transfer to a sister plant to our relief.
KSSS and anyone else, I should have mentioned the 430 as well. Is it basically a 440 except with a 3.2? I am going to check out the "Alpha" machines next week. What I am looking for is something that I can move a lot of snow with, maintain my drive way and work on a addition I am looking to do, most of all I really miss having a Skid Steer. I also want something that is cost effective. I am really interested in the CASE machines. I really liked my CAT's in the past but I have never been able to get past the thought of puking an engine on one. I was always thinking in the back of my mind, is this the day that my Perkins takes a dump. I have just heard of too many people with low time machines having one go! I have always thought CASE was really well built and everyones responses on here have reaffirmed that! Also, KSSS do you do work as far north as Island Park? I have noticed your Excavator on your site and will eventually need someone to dig a basement for our addition and a new waste system. Haven't really cared for Island Park sand and Gravel in the past....
We go to Island Park, actually as far North as Big Sky, when you get ready let me know we would be happy to look at your project. I have a friend that bought a new 226 or 236 a couple years ago, it puked at less than 300 hours. They do have issues with some of those engines. If you want to move Island Park type snow levels you would want to consider a high flow skid steer with a high flow blower. The 430 is strong. Its not turboed but they certainly run strong. The Alpha's do cold weather start better than the 400 series.
Early 430's use a non turbo 4.5 engine - the 430 series 3 uses the turbo 3.2.
John Deere for life!
Hey KSSS, I was wondering if there is a big difference in operators cab space between the 420ct-3 and the 440ct-3. I and looking at a 420ct-3 and it seemed tighter than my 1840(big difference in machines) but I didn't know if I should hold out for a 440ct-3 or go with the 420. Also the operating capacity of the 420 saying 2860 @ 50% and 2000 @ 35%, how did they come up with this and what is it based on. You seem to have a lot of experience about Case machines and that new machine you got looks good. Thanks
I dont have a lot of time around a 420 but I believe that the cab on the 420 and 440 are the same (perhaps someone else may know for sure). I know they are the same from the 430 to 440. Tracked machines are typically rated at 35% of Rated operating Capacity although I think every OEM now also shows the ROC at 50% as well because it looks better. Wheeled machines at rated at 50%. These numbers (tipping capacity and rated operating capacity) are engineering generated based on certain tests the machine is run through. As far as which would be better, the 440 is much more powerful, but if I remember you seem to be happy with the capacity of your 1840 for what you require it to do. Unless you are looking for a machine to expand your capabilities, the 420 would work well. The S-3 machine is nice.
Yes, the cab on all the 400 series are the same. That was one of my biggest complaints on the Case machines, which has been addressed with the Alpa series. The S3 420 is a lot more machine than the S2, but like KSSS said, it is hard to beat a 440 for physical size and capability/HP.
Thanks for all the info on the skidsteer. I think I am going with the 420 ct because there is one in my area with under 100 hours and I put an offer in on it. The 440ct are hard to come by in California I guess because they are great machines and no one wants to get rid of them. My 1840 was able to pick up 2100 lbs of pickets on the down hill side of the trailer so I think that 420 will be able work just right to unload concrete and supplies. Thanks again for all the info. You guys have been helpful.
im currently working on a case 60xt and the parking brakes do not engage, i have no idea how the brake system on a skidsteer work let alone diag it or know where to start to diag it, im wondering if someone could help me figure out this dilemma or help me to figure out where to even start
The 60xt should be a pin and lock system that engages by lifting the lap bar.(according to the specs) My 1840 has the same system and if you get to much dirt build up under the floor plate and around the cables, it can gum it up causing it not to engage. Sometimes too, it will have to roll back or foeward a little to engage the pins but it should only roll a couple of inches. Case has a pretty good parts finder on their website with diagrams so if there is something more to it, you might be able to trace it with that. Good luck
1845c case slid loader fuse box location. I am having a problem finding it.
Might be cause they don't actually have one - what is the problem you are having?
Pull the seat and check on the left side. That is where it is on an 1840.
Case loaders don't move very well at idle. They need speed to turn the pumps.
If I remember I'll check in the morning but seem to think there are just a few inline fuses under the seat. If it would help with what ever problem you might be having I could scan the wiring diagram for you.