Greetings, I posted this in the crawler loader forum also,but I figured I'd double my chances by posting here also. I have an old 1450B crawler loader which has been sitting for a few years. I fired her up in the spring and early fall and she ran well those couple times. Now colder weather is here and she seems to be running out of fuel after 10-15 minutes run time. Changed out the primary and secondary fuel filters ran much better, but still seems to starve for fuel after 10 minutes... wont throttle up then eventually dies. I assume some junk is getting sucked into screens somewhere in the fuel system, causing this problem. Do any of you fine folks know, or have a diagram of where the screens are in the system? I was going to start at the tank and work my way forward, but I'm not sure what screens/pickups are in the tank and any help would be greatly appreciated. I see a large plug with a petcock on the bottom of the tank. I assume there is no lift pump on these? Unfortunately, I find myself having to do a small job on my property with it and cold weather makes troubleshooting troublesome. Thanks again for any help/advice/diagrams etc -George
If all else fails, and if it has a roosa master pump you might check the fuel return check valve on top of the injection pump.
Thanx much-just so Im clear,i s the master pump the same as what some folks call a lift pump? is it part of the housing stuck on the side of the inj pump where the hand primer is? And is that check valve under where the return line comes out of the inj pump?
Don't think that is the right pump on your machine, you have a inline Robert Bosch.
Do you have winter diesel in your machine, the fuel might be gelling? You may also have a little water in the fuel that is freezing at the pick up. I had a weird problem with my Cat 931B a couple weeks ago. Thankfully it ran good to get yanked out of frozen mud but once it was out and I was lifting it up to put some logs under the tracks, it started to miss and then died. It started up again, ran for a minute, then died again. Once more it started so I lifted the boom some while I could. After that it wouldn't start again. Cat's have a little screen in the line at the lift pump and I thought it might be plugged because I had problems with it before. Took it out and cleaned it but it didn't seem too bad. Had to use a touch of ether and started the Cat again but the problem was still there. I opened the water trap on the bottom of the fuel tank but nothing came out so I figured it must be froze. Just on a whim I turned the fuel petcock off and then back on again. It's in the same place as the water trap. That seemed to fix the problem. My best guess is there was a tiny piece of ice in the petcock blocking the fuel flow. I had a similar problem on my tractor in the summer but it was a tiny piece of dirt in the line or a blocked strainer in the tank that caused it to die. Being out in the bush, all I had was a 2' piece of 1/4" fuel line and a small plastic air nozzle from a 12 volt compressor that just happened to thread into the 1/4 hose. I took the fuel line off the tractor at the fuel filter and just by mouth blew back through the line into the tank and had fuel flowing freely again. If you could use a compressor would make it easier to back blow the lines out.
This is also a double posting to the other thread.
Duplicate post also, thanks for that part# sheepfoot I will pick one up , and thanks to everyone for all the help. I drained the tank, cleared the lines and cleaned out that front fuel bowl. She seems to be running very strong now..and not shutting off. It was warmer here today ...so I'm not sure if anything I did solved the shutdown problem, but she really is running much better. I would really like to believe I don't smell of diesel for nothing tho-my better half doesn't appreciate the fragrance Now for a couple questions. The hand primer is leaking where it screws into the casting , and it also leaked around the plunger top when I pumped it up. I don't make a habit off running stuff out of fuel, but I dont recall the leaking while pumping happening on my old macks(similar setup). What is supposed to seal the primer where it screws in? and can the whole primer be found for a price not requiring a secong mortgage? One more..while running is it normal to see a bit of air space above the fuel in that small bowl? am I sucking air thru the primer ? it occurred to me just today that even with all this equipment and trucks around me , I've never looked at the fuel bowls while machines where running. To be fair, most of them are well hidden. Let me know your thoughts on those leaks and solutions-thanks again-George