Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1450b opinions

montman ยท 2015-06-08 14:40

Hi all going to look at a case 1450b dozer around the 1988-1990 year just wanted to know opinions as to what they are like good or bad and what to look out for. Also are there any electrical bits to go wrong or are they mechanical machines i do not like stuff that has to be linked up to a computer for every little problem. Thanks all.

Replies8
  1. #1sheepfoot2015-06-08 20:24

    They are getting some age on them, I like the way they handle, about 32,000 pounds and 150 hp.. Case 504BTD engine. The B had planetary drives on the finals and did well in most grading and clearing for there size. Service is a must with good engine oil at 150-200 hrs., take care of leaks, and antifreeze changes to cloud the system to help with pitting on the cylinder liners. Simple machine with the parts and service books and not a lot of elect issues, no laptop needed.

  2. #2montman2015-06-10 14:47

    Thanks sheepfoot anyone else have any info

  3. #3lantraxco2015-06-10 16:00

    I worked on a couple back in those days... I seem to remember you had to have a ground man follow them around to pick up the pieces as they fell off, but that may have just been the operators we had? YMMV.

  4. #4montman2015-06-17 14:55

    could do with some more opinions on this if anyone has any.

  5. #5Shimmy12015-06-18 02:19

    Ran an 1150C for many years. Same basic machine. Controls are a little unique. You have 5 levers in front of you, and two brake pedals. Also, Case thought they needed an ACCELERATOR pedal instead of a decelerator. The levers go like this: the rear two are track direction, the front two are high/low for each track, and the right middle lever is your high/low range. Tracks in low, low range is 1st gear. Switch to high range, that's 2nd. Tracks in high, low range is 3rd, high range is 4th. You can steer with the brakes, or by shifting one track into high (or low, depending on what gear you're in). You may also counter-rotate with the individual track direction levers. I know this isn't really a testimonial, but figured you might be asking these questions when you're looking at it. The 504 is a very good engine as long as you maintain the coolant. One thing to keep in mind, if you get it and keep it long enough where you need an overhaul, the liner counterbores are known to crack. Just something to be aware of. Let us know how it turns out. And take some pictures.

  6. #6clintm2015-06-18 21:12

    the older case crawler's that I have been around back in the day seemed to be good machines and most of them was abused

  7. #7rescue89502016-09-11 18:53

    I have a couple 1450Bs and a D6C, D6D, and a D6M. I know for a fact they will move dirt faster than any of them although I will give the stumping edge to the 6M and I think it is mainly cause the 6 way blade is so much closer to the front of the machine. That being said I have seen a lot of 6 ways ripped plumb off too but you won't have that problem with an external c frame. I prefer to run the 6M of course due to heat and air etc. But pound for pound dollar for dollar those 1450Bs are hard to beat. Just stay away from the 1550 which is hydrostatic. I also owned a case 580 superL backhoe and have a CX160 Case excavator too. Case equipment for me has been a lot more trouble free than Cat. And tons cheaper to work on if you do have trouble.

  8. #8sheepfoot2016-09-15 21:19

    rescue8950, why did you not like the 1550 case machine? I was around and ran them often. Never had any issues other than tracking and a drive connector every once in a while. I am also a 1450B fan, they along with the 1150 and 850 dozers and track loaders would work some dirt.