Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1490 Tractor

Thomasdiesel ยท 2014-06-12 12:47

Anyone know much about a Case 1490. I just bought one with engine problems and transmission shifter won't go into gear.

Replies4
  1. #1Randy882014-06-12 22:23

    Had one for about 25 years, what's wrong with the engine and as for the transmission, can you get it in gear when the engine is shut off or not ever, explain a little more, also do you have a gear shift manual transmission or the power shift version?

  2. #2Thomasdiesel2014-06-14 22:26

    The engine had at least # 1 cylinder dead, #2 was weak as well. Engine was also whit smiking profusely. Have removed head and # 1 piston. No real problem found yet. The guy I bought it from sayed it got hot and he shut it down as soon as he realized there was a problem. The rings are worn, cylinder is usabe. Plan on putting rings in it and honing cylinders. The problem is I don't think I've gotten to the cause of the dead cylinder. The injection pump was rebuilt not to long ago. I guess I should have tested injectors first. As for the transmission, the seller claims it worked fine when the engine failed. It is a 12 speed manual not the power shift. It won't go into gear any time. Haven't taken the top off yet. Haven't had or work on one of these in my life. I ran an 1190 years ago for a fair grounds and thought it was a good tractor.

  3. #3Randy882014-06-15 18:43

    Its a sleeveless engine, before I'd go too far, I'd have the head gone through, valves ground and put a new head gasket on it and redo the timing again and see if it starts and runs fine without smoke. I'd guess the smoke was from the blown head gasket and the dead cylinder is from either a leaking valve or a blown head gasket near that cylinder. As for the transmission, split the tractor and have a look at the clutch first, if it won't go into gear, it could be the clutch or else the clutch forks on the clutch itself. When mine went bad, it was locked in gear and once I got it out of gear, we couldn't get it to go back in again either, not saying its the whole problem but something to look for. I've had a bearing cage go bad in the transmission and I had to go inside to find the bad bearing, but once I got into it, nothing else was damaged or needed replacing, just one bearing and that was a decade ago.

  4. #4Thomasdiesel2014-06-17 08:56

    Thanks for your input, I'm going to put rings in it and have the head touched up then put it together and see what I've got. May have jumped the gun pulling the head, I was just convenced there was a problem with cyliner or head. I'll let you know.