Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1537 skid steer

tdk ยท 2013-04-27 08:43

Hi this is my first post. We have a case 1537 skid steer and have had it for over 25 years and never adjusted the steering clutches. We do not use it much but have noticed that it is getting harder to steer. You have to push and pull pretty hard but it still steers ok. Maybe I'am just getting weaker in my old age. Is it much of a job to adjust or replace if needed and how expensive. Thank You TDK.

Replies1
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-04-27 12:53

    The 1537 had several tools to adjust the chains and clutches, I seem to recall a guide plate that is installed on the housings after the wheels and side cover is removed. The machine is put up on cribbing ties and tires removed, then the side plate and the guide plate is installed to make the adjustment. I remember that the cams gave problems where the ball bearings road in them, not allowing a good feel when going F/R. Also their was a upgrade to the multi disc clutch that changed to a newer I think five disc clutch shaft assembly. The last 1537 I worked on was around 1992 with a var drive issue, hyd leak and belt change. You may need to go by and see if your dealer has a guide plate, think it's the D54392 looking at some old notes and upgrades may be needed if parts were never replaced before now. Their was a lot of them at one time working, and getting harder to find a tech that knows a lot about them. I would try to find a service and parts book if your going to try it yourself. They may be able to sell you that guide plate also which holds the clutch assembly while adjusting. Parts cost may be a big factor but it is still cheaper than a new one if you don't use it much.