Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1650K code E004

Mr Dig It ยท 2016-08-29 19:35

I have a tier one case 1650K dozer with a code E004 that says it is a forward solenoid I have replaced the solenoid and still have the problem ( it drops out of Forward gear and will not move forward if I push on the joystick past the detention it will move forward and it only does this after working for six or more hours. If we let it cool for 1 hr it will work again) does anyone have suggestions where to look.

Replies8
  1. #1GaryHoff2016-08-30 02:49

    I would recommend to check the solenoid connector for water/corrosion. If that's ok, check the joystick. Lift up the rubber boot on the LH joystick and there will be two adjustment screws with locknuts. These screws should be adjusted so that there is a .002" to .003" gap between the screw and the plunger. Then check the nuts securing the forward and reverse plungers to make sure they are tight. If that's ok, T into the line going to the forward pressure switch, and check the pressure when the manipulator is moved into forward. The pressure should start at about 36 psi with the joystick moved forward about 2 degrees, and then ramp up to about 160 psi at the detent. The forward pressure switch should actuate at 102 psi. Reverse should be the same. If the joystick doesn't work like this, the joystick is likely failed.

  2. #2CaseFan132016-08-30 09:13

    We have a similar issue with our 1650. I was backfilling a gas well location last year and the joystick started to make a buzzing sound when trying to put it in reverse after a couple hours of hard pushing. It threw a code, I believe E007 but I'm not sure. We came to the conclusion that the fluid gets too hot. So we changed the filter in front of the radiator and cleaned the filter on top of the transmission along with changing the fluid and that didn't help it any. It almost seems like it gets hotter now, just doing small finish grading and cleaning up windrows gets it hot. Sounds like something is getting hot too in your case if it works after the machine cools down.

  3. #3Mr Dig It2016-08-30 18:18

    Thanks for the 1650 info Gary I replaced the solenoid with no change. Changed filters today no change. I will check the joy stick and pressures. Sometimes it acts like Casefan's dozer. It buzzes when I hold it past the detent. I called the dealer and they are coming to the job site to check the computer while it is failing. They are already talking $3000 for a micro processer. Thanks for the suggestions .

  4. #4Mr Dig It2016-10-07 22:03

    1650K dozer After the dealer was out two times and was never able to get the computer connected to his laptop and sent me a bill for $1200 the dozer was still not fixed. I replaced both the forward and reverse switches on the bottom of the manipulator and isolated the forward switch with a 12 inch grease gun hose the same as the reverse Switch was from the factory. We have ran the dozer for two weeks 10 hours a day with no further problems . FYI case company service said service code E04 had to be the solenoid they were wrong.

  5. #5GaryHoff2016-10-07 23:32

    Good to hear you got it fixed. Sounds like the actual failed component was just a pressure switch.

  6. #6Mr Dig It2016-10-08 19:58

    1650K Case Yes that is correct I think isolating the switch with a short hose the same as the reverse switch may help it also.

  7. #7hunterdog9672023-01-03 18:05

    Can you change solenoids from top cab flipped over

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2023-01-08 09:58

    Only if you have really long arms and enjoy standing on your head. The trans control valve is located on the lower left front corner of the trans housing.