So I get a call from a guy yesterday that his dozer just quit on him all of a sudden. He calls me about 2 hours later when I am on my way there to tell me that they had tilted the cab and the driveline was laying in the belly pan. I thought "It probably lost a ujoint…...no big deal." I climb on the machine when I get there, sure enough the drive coupler is laying in the pan, but something is missing. Any guesses? This pic was taken from above the pump...…..
I did rescue the drive coupler from the depths of the belly pan to the top of the track!
I don't see a shaft..
You are GOOD!
Did you FIND the shaft??
The broken part is somewhere in the belly pan. I wont get started on this for another few days but I am sure it will turn up. The Case dealer here informed me that there are no separate parts for this pump and there is only 1 in the country at a cost of almost $14K. Pretty sure I can get the parts I need from Bosch Rexroth...……….the availability may be the killer here.
Your Case dealer is full of CRAP I think, the part #87595461 coupler assembly. There is no "shaft" just u-joint assembly with yoke.
I think they are talking about the pump input shaft.
Yeah I think you are right.
LOL.....this gave me a laugh this morning!
Yes.
I pulled the front pump last Thursday, no need to pull the entire thing. There were NO bolts and isolators on the front pump bracket at all......found all of that in the belly pan (isolators completely trashed). I am in the process of locating repair parts for this pump but also have started pricing replacement pumps just in case. 1. Case dealer price on this pump complete (NEW, WITHOUT PTO) is $13080.00. I was told that there is only 1 in the country. NO core charge 2. After throwing the pump # up on Google, I have found numerous rebuilt pumps under the Case and Rexroth part #'s. The cheapest so far is $10300.00 with no core. 3. Found a company in Tennessee that has a brand new one for $7800.00 with no core. 4. Same Tennessee co. has re-maned for $6600.00 with 12 month warranty, with no core. 5.. Checked with same Tenn. co today for shaft and seal kit availability and pricing. 6. (end result here)?
This is the u joint closest to the engine flywheel. It more than likely hasn't seen grease since this machine was new.
This is the broken end of the pump shaft splined end.
Looks like a shaft part number to me.
Any chance in going to a drive shaft place & getting 1 made?? Here theres a co called> Drive Line Specialties.. or Specialists I take it Dale couldn't help??
I played a bit with those numbers and found this: https://www.airlinehyd.com/Product.aspx?item_code=BRH+R909921550 Estimated lead time is 12 days but less than $400.00 Sometime it's hard to feel bad for someone who due to their own negligence it costs them tons of money. I can imagine someone telling them they should get the operators/maintenance manual for the machine and when they saw the price of $150.00 "That much for a 30 page book! No Way!" Then again if all owners took proper care of their equipment how would all the mechanics pay their bills?
Thanks Ken for taking the time to look around for that part. I did end up finding a brand new shaft for $293.00 and a seal kit for $169.00, both from Rexroth direct. What's really funny is the mark up on parts now days...….its just ridiculous! I realize businesses have to make a profit but GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!! This started off at $13k and in less than 5 days has gone down to $462 in parts, less the drive coupler. Now the big question is how should I bill this?! You save a customer $10K but you used your experience and contacts to do so...…………..what value do you place on that?
Not sure on how to bill, but wish the part I found was the one you are buying so we could share in that $13k! Heck I'd even pay for the part out of my pocket if I got to keep 50% of the 13!
If this was the case, its virtual steak and lobster dinners for EVERYONE on the forum! LOL
Hey Ken, I have another part I haven't found yet so I was wondering if you would want to work your magic?! I have a part # from Case for the driveline assembly. It is a PT# 87595461...…..the mount plate end and the splined end are fine, its the intermediate ujoint bracket that I haven't been able to find yet. The case parts book doesn't break it down for individual part numbers so I haven't got a part number for it. It is the one broken in the first pic.
Put a 50% markup on your cost and let it go at that. If they complain about anything, just remind them of the original cost estimate.
what? you mean you`re supposed to grease them things
Well try looking at this page from Spicer, scroll down to about page 4 and see if anything there matches up to the dimensions of your failed part. I'm just guessing that Case might have used an off the shelf part. https://d3qx1uccksbb2n.cloudfront.net/docs/J300-P5.pdf Seems like if you can find one in that list that matches any good drive line shop should be able get one. Just one I picked out #3-26-527 poped up on this place: https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/category/cat_driveshaftcomp_cvcenteryokes_1330.html For less than $50.00, a bit better than the $700 or what ever Case wants for the complete assembly!
Thanks Ken! You may have saved the day yet again.
Sounds reasonable.
So did one of those match up with the dimensions of your broken one? The one I posted the link to northerndrivetrain was just a wild guess.
I left it at a local driveshaft place here and haven't picked it up yet. I will let you know when I get to measure it.
Double the price of the parts. It's still going to save them $12k...absolute minimum $5000 right? I look at things this way...if your time, experience, and skills aren't worth anything...why aren't you working at WalMart?