Hey every one- I am mostly used to fiddle farting with old Range Rovers (extremely temperamental machines), so I am fairly competent in fixing things. I found an old 1740 skid steer near me that the engine is good, hydraulics are good..... but it just doesnt move. The seller claims the drive belt is broke, so I imagine its a pain in the rear job. Any advice, or is this a machine to walk away from? The seller wants 1500 for the machine, no claim on hours, but I imagine at this age its been overhauled some time in the past. Main uses is to help do some work around my folks land, snow removal, and a few general duties. Nothing to major, but I want something that I can do some light work with.
Not knowing that model specifically, but as long as it's a belt, should be easy enough to procure a replacement. Good running motor and non leaky hydraulics is worth that, if you can't get it running you could always scrap it and not be far behind money wise.
So it wouldnt be a bad idea to try to get him talked down to 1200? I just want to keep my risk low so god forbid things do take a turn for the worse, I can at least break even, or close to it. Any information? From my quick googling, people claim these are pretty stout loaders. No way near as advanced as todays loaders, but still get the job done.
i dont know about you but i always try and haggle regardless
Scrap iron value is about $600. Parting it out on ebay could net more than $1500. Didn't know these had a belt drive. Mine has chains. should be a fun project. Go to colemanequip.com and find parts schematics. Be sitting down when you look at prices. Lots of parts can be had on ebay more reasonably. FWIW, I'd buy it.
Yeah, I ended up passing on this unit. The engine smoked a little more than what I was comfortable with, so I take that either the rebuild sucked or it has been some time since it was rebuilt. (people use the terms rebuilt recently loosely - and the seller failed to produce a document on the rebuild, made me just walk away) I remember back in the day when I was 10-12 years old running the neighbors Monroe bobcat. They were pretty weezy in terms of power, and I don't think the motors where ever rebuilt, but for small loaders they were hardworking old machines. I will keep my searching though. Is there any machines I should just walk away from?