Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1835b diesel replacement fuel gauge

pcctim ยท 2016-08-11 10:14

Broke the fuel gauge on my 1835b. Does anyone know of an aftermarket gauge that'll work or possibly the resistance of the original (33-240 ohms or 0-90 ohms, etc) Thanks, Tim

Replies5
  1. #1pcctim2016-08-11 10:53

    Oooops....

  2. #2kshansen2016-08-11 13:30

    Just a wild idea off top of head. How about measuring the OHMS at the sender with tank full (or empty) to see what they are then go to someplace like NAPA and look through their books to see if you can find the gauge that is in that range. I can see why you are looking for one other than Case, just checked their site and looks like they want $110.00!

  3. #3pcctim2016-08-11 14:10

    Thanks Hansen, that's the plan. Was hoping someone could chime in and save me from pulling the sender out the tank. The info may be in the shop manual... which I don't have. JCWhitney, Surplus Center, etc all have gauges that'll probably work but I need to know that ohm range. Yeah, that $110 stung a little. I bought a $4 transmission fluid 4' flexible dip stick in the mean time. Does the trick. Tim

  4. #4kshansen2016-08-11 19:48

    Well that type of "Fuel Gauge" worked for years on most Cat equipment among others, I use a 2 foot long dowel to check fuel in my old Farmall BN! I'd just use you "high tech" gauge to estimate the fuel level then stick an ohm meter on the screw of the sender. If it is say at half full on the dipstick and it is showing 438 ohms try to find a gauge that has a range where that would be near the middle of it's range. Don't have to do any removing of the sender! Here's an example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-82303?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-stewart-warner&gclid=CN-pitHGus4CFQooaQodLpoLvQ Spec's : Sender Ohm Range: 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full. So if yours was showing 140 ohms at 1/2 tank that one would probably work pretty good and it is under $40.00

  5. #5pcctim2016-08-12 12:21

    That's a good idea, thanks!