Bought a 1993 Case 1840 with the intention of doing a rebuild / restoration. I am trying to remove the bucket and case coupler and 20 years of abuse and neglect is proving to be quite a match. I already sheared off one of the cranks and even with heat, the other won't budge either. I tried to remove the pins from the coupler to take the whole bucket and coupler off but these pins won't budge. Drilled one and tried a puller while heating the boss but no luck. I'm hoping someone can give me a better solution than drilling the pins out.
Heat with rose bud and a solid hit with sledge, do this before you get her to hot otherwise the heat gets to the pin and swells it even tighter, if that don't work can you get cut off wheel in between to slice pin and then blow pins out of coupler, I know it sucks because those pins are only one inch but if you use the cut off wheel method your not blowing through the hole pin because my guess it's frozen in the coupler itself. Mike
I did this exact job on my 1845c june 1913. I did the two lower pins and the two upper pins to the cylinders.Here is what I did.1 raise the bucket and support it at a height that allows you to drill and swing at it best.the lower pins were worst about 1 1/4 diameter and 6 inches long.A word about drilling steel especially semi hard steel, If you havent aquired the skil to quickly hand sharpen drills stop and go buy about 4 or 5, 1/4 USA MADE drills.Dont use a fast turning drill motor. If you even begin to here a squeal ,stop and change bits. Mine pins were tuf but I used a disc used grinder on the ends and got under the hard skin.2 carfully mark the center of both ends of the pin.3 1/4 inch drill from both ends until you meet in the middle ,if they dont meet exactly its ok.Now same thing with 5/16 then 3/8 then 1/2.Now use a 3/4 inch drill but only go 2 1/2 deep from both ends .Now this solid pin is more like a pipe.YOU can heat it from both ends and the heat will travle thru and you can beat it out with a 3/4 punch.It helps to have a buddy hold a big peice of heavy steel on the oposite side that you are beating on to keep it from bounsing away. Good luck EDWIN
Thanks for the input. It is presently -14 C around here and as soon as the temperature gets close to the freezing point, I will go at it again. My plan is to re-drill the pin for a 3/4 inch fine thread puller rod and try pulling again. If that fails, I will continue to enlarge the hole.
Pins are now sliced off. Brought arms up and tipped bucket to provide access to pins. Used a side grinder with a cut off blade and cut them off on each side of cylinder and arms. Now to take the ROPS off and continue with strip down.