Hello, new member. Changing hoses on my Case 1840 from tandem pump to wheel motors. One developed a hole...(large hole)leaving me stranded in the middle of my field. I got the bucket arms lifted with secure bar in place then pulled the cab forward. What size of wrenches do I need besides 1 1/4"....(which is the biggest I own)? Do I need to remove the angles or just the hoses? Talking about all the number 4's in the diagram. Any suggestions or tips? Also, does someone sell new hoses or do I need to find someone local to build them?
My local NAPA made me new hoses. IIRC I had to use a crows foot wrench on one of the fittings. Try and clean everything BEFORE you crack any connections. Good luck. SimS
Thanks, did you use a degreaser?
I am very far from being an expert but I did replace all 4 of those hoses a few years ago. There is very little room to work, as I'm sure you know. I ordered the hoses from Case because I've noticed that when I get replacement hoses made at NAPA, the fittings are often physically larger than the originals which makes it even harder to work with. Hope that makes sense. I wish I remembered more details about changing them. Even with the engine removed it was still a pain to do. I do believe that I used a flat wrench along with the regular ones. I ended up removing the engine to replace the hoses as the machine was new to me and I wanted to clean out under the engine and check other things out. Found a couple more that needed replacement too. Good Luck Doug
I don't believe that I removed the angled fittings, but I may of moved them slightly to get at the hose fittings.
Greg; I used a pressure washer and washing soda/ammonia. But since you are stuck in a field I would go with cheap brake cleaner or carb cleaner. Be sure to carefully check the other hoses while you are in there. The bottom pan on my 1845C was incredibly filthy. SimS
Check the hose pressure rating if you buy any place but Case. A lot of places only have 3500 psi hose. That system is 5000-5500 psi if I remember correctly.
Welcome to HEF, Greg ! You have swivel fittings on both ends of those hoses. Any good hydraulic shop should be able to match them up with the same pressure rating. Parker and Aeroquip are my preferred brands. I had hoses made at the local CNH dealership once. Bad mistake ! They made them for Chinese made garbage. They all failed in a short period of time. Unbelievable ! $1200.00 down the financial drain.
3500 psi (2 wire) is all that's needed. 5k psi (4 wire) has to be damned near exact length to muscle it in there.
Those specs are for the boom. You willneed 4 wire hoses for most any hydrostatic trans
Make sure wherever you get the hoses they clean them out. Would be a good idea to clean them again yourself. Hydrostatic trans. need to be spotlessly clean. I would go to a place the specializes in hyd's for the hoses not Napa or the local farm store for hydrostat hoses.
HEY, That's loader hydraulics spec, not drive pumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you ever get those hoses replaced? The same thing happened to me and I am stuck in a field. I am thinking of raising the motor and tandem pump together to get those hoses off the bottom of the motors. You can barley even see them, I don't know how you get them off. If anyone has any insights I would greatly appreciate it.
Buy oem. Like already mentioned the size of the fitting is larger and most of them are under rated on pressure You will need a bigger wrench than 1-1/4 most drive lines fittings are 1-7/16 to 1-1/2 depending
Pretty sure there is an access plate underneath where you can gain access
Just to clarify for any future reference- There is no underneath access to the high pressure loop hoses on a Case 1840. You can however, slide the cabin forward, which, depending on which hose you need to remove, makes the job better, but not easy...
My problem is getting at those hose fittings under the drive motor. I have no idea how to get at those. Does anyone know any trick to getting at those? What a nightmare.
No tricks, just perseverance ..... some tools you can buy, sometimes you need to get creative & make what you need by cutting, grinding, welding & bending wrenches to suit. **TIP - If you loosen the fitting at the drive motor - best you pull it right out & put a new oring on it, because if you don't do it now, it will leak & you'll be doing it all again real soon....
Thanks for that, I don't plan on removing the fittings if I don't have to but they might loosen when I try to take off the hose.
...... you can count on it to happen!