Hello all, new to the forum. Picked up a 96 Case 1840 and have changed all the fluids, filters, except for the chain case. In the manual and parts catalog it shows the fill plug to be just below the chain case inspection cover. I don't have the plug anywhere near the cover, nor along side the bottom of each side. There is a plug with a 1/2 drive space to remove it in the center of the inspection cover. Is this plug the oil fill plug/ level for the chain case? Or would the easiest way be take off both inspection covers and fill to the bottom of the cover itself? Any input is appreciative
A quick look on the Case/IH site and the 1840 looks very close to the 1845 C's that I'm familiar with. On the 1845C there is no "fill plug" for the chain case. To put oil in there you remove one of the access covers on each side and pour the oil in. You say you have a manual so it should tell you how much oil and what type. I know on the 1845C there are a couple different spec's on how much oil. Basically you just need enough to cover the bottom side of the lower chains so it gets thrown about when moving , do not FILL the chain cases!
Sounds Good! Thanks for the reply! Manual shows 5 quart for each side so I will go that route after I drain each side.
That sounds like what the book for our 1845C calls for.