Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 turns but won’t start

Txray76 · 2022-01-13 20:21

I bought a case 1840 and it’s been minor issues after issues. I just replaced a bad starter and now it’ll turn but not start/ fire up. It’ll turn till the battery starts to die down then I’ll stop. I’ve been told that it sat to long and the fuel lines need to be bleed? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks y’all

Replies8
  1. #1Bobcat Crazy2022-01-13 20:28

    Did it fire up before you changed the starter or was the old starter totally bad. I guess a better question for me to ask would be, have you ever had it started since you bought it?

  2. #2Txray762022-01-13 21:02

    It fired up and ran before. Then it wouldn’t start after it sat for a while. The battery was good but the starter didn’t click. I swapped it out today now it turns but won’t fire up.

  3. #31693TA2022-01-13 23:44

    The mechanical lift pump has a manual primer lever on it. Work this lever a few times and you should feel resistance. If not, rotate the engine a bit and try again. If still no resistance the lift pump could be bad. Remove the fuel filter and make sure it, or they, are full of fuel. If either are empty, fill them full and reinstall. I'd suspect your mechanical lift pump is either bad or on it's way out and sticking intermittently.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-01-14 05:38

    U can loosen the hard steel lines AT THE INJECTORS a few turns and watch them when cranking.. Once they start spitting fuel, stop and tighten the lines..

  5. #5Bobcat Crazy2022-01-14 07:13

    I second both of those comments above (from very experienced Guys). I had a XT90 that I rebuilt the engine after it had blown and had been sitting a while (half disassembled when I bought it) and I tried everything to get it to start. In the end with mine I had to have the injection pump rebuilt. I am not saying that is what you will find and I certainly hope not. I am just saying that is what happened in my case. That will certainly blow the budget you are working with when that happens. But mine had set up for at least a couple of years open to the elements before the people decided to part with it. Hopefully yours has had better treatment than that. B-C

  6. #61693TA2022-01-14 07:21

    I mention the fuel lift pump as I've seen three of those corrode the rod which actuates the internal diaphragm and it sticks, or jambs in the body/guide. When this happens you will not feel any resistance when operating the manual primer lever as you will not be stroking the diaphragm. I cut one pump apart to prove my theory and actually seen this. I attribute this to effing "Biodiesel" garbage we are blessed with.

  7. #7alrman2022-01-14 16:22

    There are 3 different types of injector pumps fitted to the 1840 series. If you could post a pic of the pump we can be more specific about your problem. They all require 12V supply to fuel shut off solenoids to allow starting & the solenoids need to be operational as well. Different pumps have different solenoid locations - 2 have a single hot wire & 1 has 2 hot wires

  8. #8Txray762022-01-14 17:07

    Thanks for all the advice & suggestions y’all, I will post an update soon.