Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 will not crank

cvs334 ยท 2015-06-18 18:50

I have a new/used Case 1840 that we are having a devil of a time trying to get it running. When we bought it, the thing seemed to need a special procedure to start ... in the few times I have started it the procedure was different. Symptoms first time would turn key and the starter would click, the battery light would come on ... VOM showed the battery at 12.2v and with key on would drop to 11.4 volts ... with the jumper box it always stayed steady at 12.2v but would never turn over. Then suddenly it cranked ... now it will not even click the solenoid. No manual ... and getting depresses we bought another persons problem:-( Any ideas ... FWIW we had it running for about 30 minutes and that's the state it's in. I turn it on ... get a buzzer ... assume that is the glow plugs. When stops I assume try to crank ... I have also turned the key to the other position in case that is the glow plugs ... either way no joy. There is a button over the light switch that I have presses ... and sometimes that is the key other times nothing ... once that was NOT presses and it worked. Others assumed it was throttle position .... nothing seems to work ... the one thing I notice is no matter where the seat bar is ... the seat belt light is illuminated when the buzzer is buzzing. Now when I turn it to start mode the battery light does come on ... without the engine cranking. Sound like wiring ... not doing something right *ie the hookie pookie ... or some other problem? Any suggestions would be wonderful ... wanna play with our new toy.

Replies4
  1. #1cvs3342015-06-18 18:54

    One other thing I did notice ... the seat bar is bent slightly and needs to be just right to use the controls one way ... but it started fine and runs with the bar up (the one time it worked) ...

  2. #2cvs3342015-06-19 01:47

    Working ... not exactly sure what it is but we found a shorted wire in the console ... and now it runs like a champ. The big question is why is it so hard to find a wiring diagram? We did not get an owners manual and that is not available online. Would assume Case would make a PDF available for download.

  3. #3mountainlake2015-06-19 06:54

    Seems like most manufactures are proud of theirs wiring diagrams and want you to pay for them. Nice to hear what was wrong .

  4. #4Chuck2015-06-27 19:32

    That buzzer is not glow puts, its the simple "System Ok" system the used. Both the 1840 and the 1845C are prone to having wiring issues at the two plugs under the seat that send power up to the key switch.