Using the skid steer and attempted to perform an 180 degree turn in some soft dirt. Lost all power to wheels immediately and bucket in 15 seconds. Engine running fine. No noises. coupler OK. Hoses OK. Fluid level OK. Tried to tow slowly, but could not due to hydraulic resistance. Loosen lines to pumps and towed slowly into garage. I'm a gearhead, but have not done much hydraulic work. Pulled charge pump. Looks OK, shaft OK, poured oil in inlet and turned shaft by hand and it pumped. What do I look for? Is there anything that commonly breaks on these old units? should I pull the main pump and check the shaft? Any ideas are helpful. Thanks
I can't explain why the loader worked 15 seconds longer than the drive but I would check the flywheel drive coupler and dual drive pump shaft for a stripped spline
Thanks for the response melben. I pulled the front pump and noted the position of the shaft. I turned the crankshaft 90 degrees and the front spline did not turn. Is it usually the crankcase side shaft that breaks? I assume the next move is to pull the entire pump and hope I can locate the broken shaft.
Most failures will be at or near the flywheel coupler, as that is where the max torque is being transferred. YMMV