So I've torn into this machine and its a total first for me, not familiar with these at all so pardon me if it's a dumb question. I had to replace one sides cable. Got cable put assemble back together but the other side, not the side that was broken is engaging and feels right. Looked at it with a mirror and it looks good. The other side that was broken doesn't seem to be engaging. Pins moving and hitting the gear/cog inside the chain case but isn't engaging. Can't see anything wrong looking at my mirror. Is this normal? I've tried rocking machine but still no luck. The other side pops right in but the side i had apart is like its in between holes and not seating properly. So one cable is nice and tight one isn't. ⁶What should I do? Thanks in advance!
There are eight holes around the sprocket thru which the park pin drops. In order to engage, sprocket needs to turn (creep) until a hole aligns with the pin. Eight holes means it will have to turn up to 45°. Sounds normal, as you are not running the hydraulics. As soon as the machine creeps forward or backward, the pin will engage.
Also you might need to adjust the cable to get the pin(s) to engage all the way. Been a few years but believe the adjustment is by how far the pin is threaded on to the end of the cable. Or it could be by a yoke some place in the linkage. Seems there were a few different linkage set-ups over the years and at least one update that was done to the 1845C we had at the quarry.
Best online picture of the brake system I could find. Scroll down to 07 and it will let you go the the page depending on what style control you have, either single or dual lever park brake and also shows S/N. https://www.messicks.com/cas/140814 I tried finding something at the "official Case" site but they have messed it up to where it is about worthless!
Yeah I think I'm going to put it back together and see what I have. Pins seem to be adjusted pretty close on either side. Thier really isn't much to this set up, as long as the pin is free and moving it should find the cog and be good to go. Keep your fingers crossed for me! LOL!
Might want to check to be sure the center gear does not have a bearing problem allowing it have too much side play. Never had that problem on any of the many 1845's I worked on over the years but is something to check none the less! We did have one where someone abused the parking brake so bad it ripped the tube that pin slides in and out of right out the side of the housing. Fun repair!
Well tore into the 1845C today. Adjusted the pins made sure they where moving, cleaned everything put it all back together and no change what so ever..... Dam thing may have actually been worse..... Took it all back apart, removed the parking break pins and all. Put dust Shields back on and hooked all the linkage and all back up and tested just to make sure where my problem is/was. Dam thing ran like a top! No issue at all..... So its undoubtedly the brake pins and that linkage...
Now you clearly see how important it is to keep that area clean. If you push snow make sure you get the snow out from the bottom of your feet. It will melt and ice up and can cause issues as well. I will just mention one more time, if you park on a hill up or down, remember to allow the those pins to retract before taking off. If your facing down hill back up a little, if up hill, go up the hill a little bit. The tension of holding the machine back in those situations will keep the pin locked in the hole. You can feel when they retract.