Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c eating bearings….

raymond donovan · 2018-05-06 10:48

Hello all. New to this site. I just purchased a used 1845C with 4500 hours. Belonged to a farmer for scooping manure so I’ve been going through it. First thing was to replace front wheel bearings both sides. Not long after this, I was operating the skid steer and broke a drive chain on one side.... I noticed that the sprocket cluster and the chef that it rides on we’re both worn very very badly. There were no bearings left in the hallways reamed out to obnoxious dimensions. I bought all new chains, sprocket cluster, bearings and idler bearing shaft. Install these without paying much attention to I noticed that the sprocket cluster and the chef that it rides on we’re both worn very very badly. There were no bearings left in the hole was rained out to obnoxious dimensions. I bought all new chains, sprocket cluster, bearings and idler bearing shaft. Install these without paying much Attention to the chain tension. Put it all back together, eight hours of operating time later, the drive chain came off. Upon further inspection, the Newly installed sprocket cluster, both needle bearings, and the new shaft I put in or all three chewed beyond repair. The bearings are the all gone, the inside of the sprocket cluster is rained out, and the shaft itself is ruined as well. $500 gone just like that. So I’ve ordered new parts, I think my problem is chain tensions but I’m half afraid to put this thing together and run it again for fear of the same thing happening. None of these problems newly installed sprocket cluster, both needle bearings, and the new shaft I put in or all three chewed beyond repair. The bearings of it but all gone, the inside of the sprocket cluster is rained out, and the shaft itself is ruined as well. $500 gone just like that. So I’ve ordered new parts, I think my problem is chain tensions but I’m half afraid to put this thing together and run it again for fear of the same thing happening. None of these problems started Existed before I replace those wheel bearings upfront and had the chains off. I’m thinking I had the tension is wrong or uneven front to back. If the front change were tight, and backs loose, without pull on that sprocket cluster One Direction enough to destroy those bearings? Posting of the same or similar content in multiple threads can cause confusion. People might read and reply to one, and then not find their reply later on, because they think they're reading one, but are actually reading a different one. If this thread now seems a little out of order, or repetitive, it's because I've taken three threads and merged them into this one. ~Digger242j~

Replies6
  1. #1raymond donovan2018-05-06 11:01

    I’d really have to check these messages before posting for errors! Let me clear this up. After I replaced the front hub bearings, I broke drive chain a few days later. Upon inspection, not only was the drive chain broken, the sprocket cluster and shaft that rides on we’re both Reamed out, the shaft worn badly. No sign of any bearings! I later found these In tiny pieces on the bottom of the pan. I bought a new chain, new shaft, and sprocket cluster with bearings and installed them. I didn’t pay much attention to chain tension again, and here five days later, that sprocket cluster, shaft and bearings are destroyed. Would a tight front chain and loose rear chain pull on that sprocket cluster enough to destroy those bearings? I’ve just ordered another $500 worth of parts. Drive chain, sprocket cluster, bearings and idler shaft. I’m definitely going to be careful to make sure I’ve got enough slack in these chains and they are all even this time. I think I know the answer to this, but was in proper chain tension the culprit? I do remember the front chains were tighter than the rears

  2. #2raymond donovan2018-05-06 11:08

    Pic of sprocket cluster

  3. #3raymond donovan2018-05-06 12:30

    Case 1845c After I replaced the front hub bearings, I broke a drive chain a few days later. Upon inspection, not only was the drive chain broken, the sprocket cluster and shaft that it rides on we’re both Reamed out, the shaft worn badly. No sign of any bearings! I later found these In tiny pieces on the bottom of the pan. I bought a new chain, new shaft, and sprocket cluster with bearings and installed them. I didn’t pay much attention to chain tension again, and here five days later, that sprocket cluster, shaft and bearings are destroyed. Would a tight front chain and loose rear chain pull on that sprocket cluster enough to destroy those bearings? I’ve just ordered another $500 worth of parts. Drive chain, sprocket cluster, bearings and idler shaft. I’m definitely going to be careful to make sure I’ve got enough slack in these chains and they are all even this time. I think I know the answer to this, but was inproper chain tension the culprit? I do remember the front chains were tighter than the rears

  4. #4raymond donovan2018-05-06 12:32

    Case 1845c

  5. #5raymond donovan2018-05-06 12:33

    Case 1845c After I replaced the front hub bearings, I broke a drive chain a few days later. Upon inspection, not only was the drive chain broken, the sprocket cluster and shaft that it rides on we’re both Reamed out, the shaft worn badly. No sign of any bearings! I later found these In tiny pieces on the bottom of the pan. I bought a new chain, new shaft, and sprocket cluster with bearings and installed them. I didn’t pay much attention to chain tension again, and here five days later, that sprocket cluster, shaft and bearings are destroyed. Would a tight front chain and loose rear chain pull on that sprocket cluster enough to destroy those bearings? I’ve just ordered another $500 worth of parts. Drive chain, sprocket cluster, bearings and idler shaft. I’m definitely going to be careful to make sure I’ve got enough slack in these chains and they are all even this time. I think I know the answer to this, but was inproper chain tension the culprit? I do remember thefront chains were tighter than the rears

  6. #6Ronsii2018-05-06 13:56

    Nice... I'd grind it out and put an insert in it if you can't get parts reasonably.