The engine in my 1845C suddenly stopped. Am I going to have a fuel or electrical issue? It was running fine and I was working the blade hard on a gravel road shaking the skidsteer hard. Maybe a wire came loose somewhere? I have the wiring diagram but don't know where to start looking. I see there is a fuel shutoff solenoid and a fuel pull-in relay which connects to a 40 amp breaker. I can take a voltmeter and see if I am getting 12 volts to where it should, but beyond that I am not sure what to look for. Engine has around 4500 hours on it and has been perfectly reliable so far. Fuel filters (has primary and secondary) are new and I just filled the fuel tank up about an hour before it went dead. Ideas? I sure don't want to have a Case tech. come and fix it 'cuz of the $$... Especially if it's a simple thing. Thanks!
Check the wire on the bottom of the injection pump first for a loose connection and 12 volts, should hear a click when the key switch is turned on.
Thanks for the suggestion. Could not find a wire on the bottom. There is no click though. I tired tracing the wiring diagram through but not much luck. There are supposed to be 3 relays and a fuel shutoff solenoid and I can't find them. There's also supposed to be a 40 amp circuit breaker but can't find that either. Doesn't help that someone's been in there before messing with the wiring and there's wire hanging there doing nothing. Plus the color coding and connectors don't quite match my wiring diagram. It's possible I have a diagram for a later model, I don't know. I phoned the local Case dealer and they had no idea where to look for the relays, solenoid and CB. May have to get a tech. in. Thanks.
If it's an older model it may not have any relays. There should be a wire connected to the fuel pump at some point. I have not worked on ours lately if I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to take a look where it is hooked. I'm assuming the engine does crank over when the key is turned. I know ours has an inline 20 amp fuse in the harness under the seat to the right side of the hydrostatic pump assembly. I believe this is original but it could be an after market add on due to the age of machine. Do you have a serial number for me to compare to ours?
Hmm, maybe it doesn't have relays! They can't be that hard to find if they really are there. There is a white wire on top of the pump that runs over to the ether injector but then the wire is not connected to anything after that. There is a 15 amp fuse under the seat. I think it's the one that the wiring diagram says should be 20 amps. But the wire to it doesn't connect to anything either. It seems to connect to the backup horn which looks to have been disconnected by a PO. The engine turns over just fine. I was thinking of trying a little ether, but not sure what that would prove if it does run for a few seconds. It was running normally and smoothly up to the point it suddenly stopped. I was running the smooth bucket hard all over our driveway that has old compacted 3" minus on it, trying to take it down a couple of inches. The machine was shaking around a lot and I'm guessing a wire came loose or a connection is bad. Thanks for your help!
How do you normally stop the engine, by turning the key off or pulling a cable/ lever?
I normally turn it off with the key. I'm guessing this must mean something about it's age and what's in it?
If you stop the engine by turning the key switch off you must have a wire to energize the solenoid in the injection pump. Find the wire and check for 12 volts, if there is none, jump 12 volts to the terminal on the injection pump and see if it starts then trace that wire back to switch.
Do you have a parts book?
I would not suggest the ether route. Try getting power to the fuel pump. If it did not need ether to start before it should not need it now!
I do have a parts book. It *looks* like there is a mechanical fuel pump in there though. Will look again for another wire to the injection pump. The wiring diagram soes not show an injection pump per say, just a shutoff solenoid, fuel pull-in relay and interlock relay which are interconnected. But if these are indeed there, where would they be? In tracing what I can of the wiring, the wiring does not lead to any relays. Even the Case dealer was scratching their head as to where relays and CB would be. They said they just don't work on many of these things anymore. If I get a Case tech out, I hope he wouldn't take longer to figure out. I love ours and would buy another in a flash if I could find one with lower hours on it.
The wire to the shut off solenoid is under the injection pump. Open the back door, lay down on the ground and look up under the radiator so you can see the right side of the engine. You'll see a sensor with a couple wires sticking out of the engine block, the solenoid is above and in front of that sensor. Its basically impossible to see the solenoid but you should be able to see the 1 wire going up to it. I've seen several of those wires rub in two near the pump. Try that, check for 12 volts with the key on. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
There are 3 different types in fuel injector pump fitted to the 1845C. To get some precise advise which do you have?
If you have the bottom style pump that's is the same as ours. The picture might be a little confusing as it is showing the pump from the side that is next to the engine blItem nock. umber 12 is the shut down solenoid, just below it you can see the slide connector the wire should be connected to h 12 volts with key in on position.
What year is your loader? The early 90ies 1845's had the relays on the firewall above the starter. Then they moved to under the seat on the left side (from seat). There is a time delay relay in the last 1845's that is part of the seat interlock system. What color is the cab? This will get us close to age.
Got it! Woohoo. After looking closer, I found the wire that is under the injection pump. It has an orange wire that is different from what's on my wiring diagram. The wire looked just fine, but as suggested, there was no 12 volts at the connector. The wire *looked* just fine, but it turned out that the copper wire inside the insulation had broken but the insulation was pretty much still intact. Cut the wire off and reconnected it to the connector and it fired up first try. I think our unit is an early 90s one and I'll look on the firewall for the relays as suggested for future reference. The cab is a darker brown color. I have a feeling that the wiring diagram I got from the Case dealer is for a later model. I should probably get the correct one for when I need it again. Plus there's a few loose wires in there that something should probably be done with. Thanks for all the help!! I REALLY appreciate it. Saved us hundreds in getting a Case tech. out...
Well ours is a 1989 and I'm pretty sure it has NO relays. We have had this since it was new! I check the service manual and see if I can scan in the wiring diagram. Glad to hear you got your's running for now. Might be a good winter project to redo the wiring as it sounds like someone has been messing with it over the years. I just went through this on an old John Deere Grader:Banghead
This two pages should give you the wiring info.