Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c hydraulic fluid

rico7467 · 2017-04-20 06:04

What would happen if I didn't use the hto additive to the 10w30 oil in the hydraulics? Does,it effect pressures?

Replies7
  1. #1kshansen2017-04-20 08:33

    Not familiar with HTO spec's but it would not have anything to do with pressures except in relation to the lack of it causing wear of pump parts which in turn will cause problems with pressure.

  2. #2Jeepwalker2017-04-20 10:49

    Won't affect pressure, HTO is an anti-foaming agent. It prevents the hot oil from foaming up after numerous operational cycles going through small passages and such. Excess foam 'could' cause the pump to run dry ...and HOT as foam doesn't dissipate heat or compress. The final result I suspect would range from non-operational hydraulics to a destroyed pump. Doesn't seem worth the risk since a qt of HTO is about $30. What's the cost of a rebuilt pump these days?

  3. #3phil3142017-04-21 12:21

    Early 1845c's used axial piston drive motors & planetary gears. They do not need HTO additive. After serial number JAF0067438, Case used gerotor drive motors. Those machines need HTO additive.

  4. #4apetad2017-04-27 14:26

    However, they used Case TCH which does have some additives not included in the 10w30 oils

  5. #5Mason Guerrero2023-09-24 22:13

    I have an ‘89 1845c and the specs call for Case HDM engine oil SAE10W-40. I’m getting ready to put new seals in my bucket cylinders and will need to replace oil. Would you recommend a Case product or could I get away with any 10w-40 oil?

  6. #6Z28982023-09-24 23:13

    I have used SAE 10W30 oil in in the hydraulics in a mid/later model 1845C for years with no issues. Also I have used HTO additive religiously when I top up the hydraulics. Needed more HTO the other day. It had been awhile since I needed to purchase some. Went to the local Case dealer and the service manager says that Case no longer sells it. He says that apparently its not required. Confusion in my mind set in. He had no answers to my questions, like "Why was it discontinued...Why was it required in the first place....What was its job etc. I asked alot of questions and he had no good answers. From the MSDS sheet I can tell it has zinc, common in hyd oil as an additive. My machine does have gerotor travel motors. He sold me some "UTTO" Universal Tractor Transmission Oil. It is ZINC FREE. I'm really glad you asked your question Mason. I'm hoping that others will reply to this thread. Maybe there are better answers out there than I got from the dealership. Cheers Z

  7. #7phil3142023-09-25 10:22

    My 1945c was also an 89. It does not need HTO or anything special. There was a case sticker next to the fill on the hydraulics tank that said 10w-30. All I every used was 10w-30 oil for 27 years. Machine had zero problems in that time and ran perfect when I sold it. That was the nice thing about machines back then. They didn't need anything special. So I'm sure you could use other mordern 'hydro' fluids too. The important thing is to change the fluid and make sure it's stays clean. Dirty/old fluid is what kills hydraulics.