I recently inherited a case 1845c. I am trying to service everything and check for anything needing repair. I found what would be the passenger side had the cable broke to the parking brake. I can’t get it out to replace it. I can feel it from the inside and it seems to be clearing the sprocket with holes now. I don’t know how to remove it. With the retainer out I could not push it out from the inside. Should i just not worry since it’s wedged good now. Any damage is already done. Or does anyone know a good way to get it out to replace it ?
A coil spring will engage the park pin if it breaks free so it's better to fix it. The pin has 1/4 inch by 20 threads on it, try to screw in a bolt into the pin and try to pry it out or maybe use a slide hammer to pull the pin out.
I am thinking the part on the cable that threaded into the pin broke off in the pin. Plus i could feel the pin reaching inside the chain case. It’s not round anymore. So when this happened it must have engaged a little but thankfully it didn’t break anything. I am not sure if a slide hammer would pull it out.
When you took the retainer clip out, did the spring pop out? I had broken cables on my 1840. One side came out fairly easy. The other not so. On the pin end of the cable is the 1/4 20 that threads into the pin and has a lock nut. There was to much cable still attached to the pin to get a socket on it. My solution was to grind a hole in the side of a deep socket, thread the cable through the hole to try to loosen the lock nut. I put a 3/8 impact gun on it to try to loosen the nut. Instead, the pin loosened and I was able to work it out.
I am pretty sure the pin engaged a little after the cable broke. It feels like it’s almost Bradded the end. It doesn’t feel round anymore. I know I was feeling the right thing. Just at a loss on exactly what to do because I think it’s larger now from being mashed a little when it initially broke. It’s wedged really tight
I have seen those park brake pins go through some bad operators - & never seen a pin that was disfigured in any way. No clue what they are made of, but it is a good bit of steel. Most likely the tube that contains the pin is out of shape some way. The 1845C intermediate sprocket has holes through it to allow the pin to engage. The 1840's have a blind hole in the front sprocket. You will need to drive the pin into the chaincase & fish it out with a magnet from the inspection cover. However, if the tube is bent or damaged in some way, you are going to have to pull the front axle hub out & the intermediate sprocket to see what needs to be done either to repair the tube with a die grinder OR fabricate a new one & cut out the bent one & weld in the new......but, thats only if you really want to have a park brake.
Forget if it was a 1845 B or C but we had one where the cable broke or someone tried forcing machine to move with pin lock engaged. All I remember is the two pin tubes were broke most of the way out of the frame. The way we did manage to fix it was once enough stuff was removed from the chain cases and the broken loose tubes were removed and cleaned up I found a section of bar stock the diameter of the pins and used it to line up the two tubes in the frame. Forget what I had to strip off the machine to have access for welder to reweld the tubes into the frame, but know the belly pan had to come off the frame. Once welder had the tubes back in the frame I seem to recall the bar stock that I used to line things up had to be cut in half or thirds to get it out as there was no way else to remove it as it hit the out side of chain boxes! Then it was pretty straight forward to reassemble the system. If I had to do this again I think I would see about making or finding something to couple two short pins, one or each side together, like a piece of tubing that could be clamped to the two short pins. Heck even a piece of exhaust pipe and muffler clamps would probably be good enough as we are not dealing with anything that has to be perfectly inline the main bearings of the engine!