Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 1845c planetary help

psu927 ยท 2016-04-26 19:17

Have a bad planetary on an 1845c. Wondering what guys that have had to replace them have done? Case wants 2,600 for a remanufactured one. The planetary its self is what is bad. (bearings in the 3-gear head out and messed up some teeth) the case and all is good. Anyone have a machine shop or something make parts to repair? Or does anyone have a machine they want to sell for parts? Looking for options here. Someone drained all the oil (or it leaked, or was starting to go bad) and it was filled with grease.

Replies6
  1. #1psu9272016-04-27 18:20

    Just an update, I tore the rotating assembly apart and that's the part that has bad bearings. Looks like maybe 2 rows of needle bearings ride directly on the inside of the gear, and the outside of the pin with washers on the outside?

  2. #2Jeepwalker2016-04-27 23:20

    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope you find a reasonably priced solution. Knowing what you know now, are there things you think of for us other 1845C owners to extend the lifespan of our gearsets? Thanks,

  3. #3psu9272016-04-28 05:41

    Not knowing the full history of my machine, Either the oil that was in it leaked out, and they put grease in instead of properly repairing it, or the bearings were going out and they put grease in to quiet them down to sell it. I would pull the plug and make sure there is oil in there. If not I would pull the planetary (not a bad job) and take it apart and inspect it. Because mine got bearing pieces in the planetary assembly and locked up the right side. Definitely something you don't want happening in certain situations/places. (deep in the woods, plowing snow, etc...)

  4. #4Jeepwalker2016-04-28 21:29

    Hmmm, I hate to admit this, I've never checked mine. I'm glad you brought this up. What grade oil does it take? Is there a side plug to fill it up to the right level (like a differential)? I haven't noticed any leaks, but I'm going to check it tomorrow...

  5. #5lantraxco2016-04-28 23:32

    Not leaking because it's empty? Hmm? Seen it happen many times, even CAT dozer finals... running in mud, never saw the slow leak.... Not being critical at all, just a word to the wise to check often, only takes a minute usually.

  6. #6sims2016-05-01 07:41

    IIRC the planetaries each take like a pint of 90W gear oil. SimS