Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 1845C starting issue

jaestites ยท 2015-04-15 05:18

Apologies if this has already been answered in previous posts. I tried finding similar issues but couldn't. Problem: Lights come on when you turn key, makes the buzzing noise, go to turn over and this ear-piercing noise comes out.... similar to a siren going off. It ran fine since getting it back 2 weeks prior. I was setting up fence posts and parked it in the back field at the end of the day and was going to continue the next morning. It rained that night, even though it wasn't supposed to. I thought maybe the wires got wet ---- because... Had previous electrical issues. My dad loaned it to a buddy that paid some half-@ guy to fix it. He pretty much spliced wires together. I complained, he put whole wires but left them all over the place, no zip ties or casing around it to protect.... But let it dry out and still the same thing. Someone suggested maybe it was low on fuel, but filled up with 5 gallons of diesel that day. I appreciate any advice. I know basic stuff, if you could be detailed and put things in lamen's terms for me, please. My dad passed away 2 months ago and so I don't have anyone to explain it to me. My boyfriend doesn't even know how to drive it and my mom is hoping I would be able to fix it if it's something silly like a ground loose or something. I have googled and asked around and nobody can help. I live in an area where nobody works on these, closest person is about 1-2 hours away which is the place we purchased it from. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can offer!

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2015-04-15 10:10

    Could the noise be the starter gear not engaging? Does the noise seem to come from the "dash" inside the cab? or down in the guts of the engine? Have you tried using jumper cables for 5 minutes to make sure the battery is charged up before starting it? That's a simple engine, and there are lots of Case experts here, so somebody will figure this out eventually, it might take some time and questions though.

  2. #2phil3142015-04-15 12:51

    I'm guessing if the wires were left loose, one of them may have worn through from vibration and could be shorting out. First thing I'd do is put a few zipties or a cover around any wires that look like they are resting on the frame of the machine. Maybe even try moving the wires or jiggling them and see if that changes anything, it could be a loose splice too. You didn't say where your located, but if it's anywhere around the twin cities,mn, I'd be willing to help/take a look.

  3. #3KLV2015-04-16 12:38

    I have a Case 1845C I have been dealing with the same issues. I was able to fix the machine by consulting threads in this forum. The horn tells you the battery current is weak. Possible causes are poor connections, or under voltage battery. That may be caused by a neglected battery or failing alternator. When you resolve that issue if it then makes a clicking noise with or with out the horn you have a starter solenoid issue. Installing a separate solenoid in series with the built in starter solenoid will fix that. Search for information using "Case 1845C solenoid " a wealth of information will show up. Good luck