Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845c Undercarriage Bulge and Extra Auxiliary?

climb.on ยท 2017-02-01 14:50

I just got this machine last week and noticed a couple things, as I go over it, that have me wondering. An extra coupler was added just above the auxiliary hydraulics (see pic), so there are 3. You can see the extra mounting bracket that was welded on. What would this be for? I also noticed 2 bulges in the undercarriage directly under the rear axle sprockets on either side. Are these factory or did something catastrophic occur and push them out? The chains and sprockets look fine and I don't hear any rubbing, so maybe they are pushed out for clearance from the factory.

Replies10
  1. #1dtcohen2017-02-01 14:54

    My guess is that the extra quick disconnect is for a case drain. A lot of rotary tools (mowers, mulchers, etc.) require a case drain to drain oil that is leaked internally through motor passages back to the hydraulic tank.

  2. #2climb.on2017-02-01 15:42

    Well that's pretty cool. Don't have any rotary attachments right now, but nice to know I have it, if/when I do need to run one with that requirement.

  3. #3Jeepwalker2017-02-01 15:55

    As for the bulges, do you have any pictures of that? I recall they were flat under there. It might be that the chain that connects the wheel sprockets broke at one time and wrapped around the sprocket. But if both sides are the same, I might be wrong..

  4. #4climb.on2017-02-01 16:03

    I thought I took a picture but I can't find it now. Will post one when I can. Yah both sides are the same, that's what makes me thing it "might" be factory just can't imagine both chains going at the same time. If they did, that would have been one hell of a failure.

  5. #5thrashingcows2017-02-02 01:15

    What year is you 1845C? Mine is an older 1989 model and that area is flat.

  6. #6climb.on2017-02-02 06:38

    It's a 2000.

  7. #7kshansen2017-02-02 10:07

    Well if this is a 16 year old machine I think there has been plenty of time for it to be abused. Why do you think the two "had to happen" at the same time? The way I see it someone abused the hell out of it for a few years and the right side failed then maybe a week or several years later they did the left side. With out seeing the "bulge" it is hard to be sure, but I have seen chains break and get wedged between the bottom on the 1845C we had at the quarry and bulge them out close to an inch! Just be careful if you feel the bottom of the chain case under the sprockets as there could be some nasty sharp metal sticking out!

  8. #8climb.on2017-02-02 10:14

    Good point kshansen! I don't know why I was thinking they had to happen at the same time. But like the ones you saw, it's bulged out about an inch I'd guess. I'll get a picture posted tomorrow.

  9. #9climb.on2017-02-04 21:06

    I'm pretty sure the bulge was determined to be the result of drive chain breaks and jamming under the sprocket, but I thought I would post a picture anyway. I'm also adding a picture of where the other end of the extra/3rd auxiliary line I asked about (suggested to be a "case drain") is connected to. It's the line with the black hose protector.

  10. #10kshansen2017-02-05 14:43

    Yes that bulge looks about right from what I recall on ours.