Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1850

tdrainage ยท 2018-09-18 12:53

Looking at a 2002 Case 1850K. Have put about 8-10hrs on it and like the power and visibility and blade seems responsive. Only issue we are fighting is the speed of the transmission. It is almost too fast to cut grade with. 1st gear (3 speed trans) is same as 5th gear on our 850k. Dealer says it is the way it is. Anyone else dealt with this?

Replies5
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-09-22 22:56

    Is it actually shifting and not stuck in higher gear. Those machines are not that fast in 1st if I remember correctly

  2. #2tdrainage2018-09-23 09:17

    Yes it is shifting. It is stupid fast in 2nd and 3rd

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2018-09-24 12:46

    This machine does have a power shift tranny so don't be afraid to use your throttle for speed. The Case dealer I worked for here in Arkansas was one of the first to get one of these machines and sold two of them to a city landfill, boy was that a nightmare. Not because of the machine but just where it was.

  4. #4Vetech632018-09-25 06:40

    I have a customer here with an 1850K. Its been a good machine but its getting more difficult to get parts for......could be my dealer though. The speeds on it seem normal to me for the size of the machine. Like Coy said, decel her a bit!

  5. #5tdrainage2018-09-25 07:19

    I have been on dozers for over 20 years so I think I know a little, when you decelerate you lose hyd response to the blade which makes cutting grade just as difficult as throttle open and running fast. Not going to keep this machine. Have owned and run Deere, IH/Dresser, and Komatsu. Have four dozers we own now including the one Case 805K as stated above. Will be looking at a 65 Komatsu that is close to my kind of money (100G). CAT is out of the question as our closest dealer wont talk to you unless you want to go 100% CAT or you will buy new. Guys like me don't mean anything as we are not a BTO or do not buy new - but what we have is paid for in cash and we owe no one.