Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 188 Pump Timing.

Jack Wruff · 2022-08-09 21:02

I cannot find definitive info re timing Stanadyne pump on this motor. Main sources say that when #1 cylinder is a 8deg BTDC firing stroke, the lines in the window on the pump should line up. Well having battled this motor pooping out a couple of months back and getting the pump rebuilt and installed with the dots matching, and in this process I have removed injectors (fun !!) rocker cover and observed TDC marks on flywheel and #1 cylinder with both valves closed, when the pump is installed with the dots lined up, the lines in the window are maybe 120 deg off. Is it possible for the shaft from the motor to have bust its woodruff key and slipped the timing off ? It's one possibility. What else could throw the timing so far out to lunch ?

Replies9
  1. #1Jack Wruff2022-08-09 22:44

    Now my head's spinning as I se someone posting (on another site) that #1 cylinder is at the back of the engine, flywheel end.......gnnnnnrrr

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-08-09 23:00

    #1 on a 188 is the front one. Go here and download the service manual. https://cdn.minnpar.com/partbooks/C...ES PARTS MANUALS/CASE 480C SERVICE MANUAL.pdf The fuel information starts on section 3012

  3. #3Jack Wruff2022-08-10 01:41

    Massive. Thanks Tinkerer. I recon the roll pin/woodruff key has gone AWOL. The pix indicate that when #1 is TDC firing, then the pump drive shaft is vertical which would account for mine being 120 odd degrees off.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-08-10 06:44

    When the lines are lined up in the window, the dot INSIDE THE PUMP is at 7:00. Looking into the pump. If u we’re looking at the drive shaft without the pump on, the dot on the end of the drive shaft would be at 5:00. It’s very possible that the key sheared IF your original problem was a locked up/seized H&R.. U didn’t turn the engine without the pump installed did u.??

  5. #5Jack Wruff2022-08-10 19:05

    Could be it !! Today I removed the pump drive gear and the sheer pin had done its job and sheered, just to cause me an amazing amount of grief over two months and one day, but who's counting Of course, the stub of the pin is to be yet removed and a new pin found, prolly fab on from a drill shank !! Until you tell me otherwise.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-08-10 20:51

    I have them in-stock..

  7. #7Jack Wruff2022-08-10 21:01

    Thanks PG, I have one to pick up in Portland.

  8. #8Jack Wruff2022-08-11 20:24

    The ol' beastie is running again, wonderful it is. Just goofed one tiny thing. I installed the pump gear at TDC. Lovely, shaft pointed to 5:00 as PG said. Then I forgot to move motor to 8deg BTDC when I timed the pump. Is this a bad thing ?

  9. #9thepumpguysc2022-08-11 21:30

    Just remember that there are two different engine timing settings.. 1 is at TDC 1 is at 8*BTDC YOU’ll know if it’s right..