Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 188d

Bryan5238 · 2022-05-06 12:29

Hey everyone! So I’m a proud new owner of a case 580c with a blown motor. Rod through the block. I have a good running 580b with a 188 I’m going to use for the 580c. My question to you all while I have the motor out and getting it cleaned up should I go ahead and rebuild the motor even though it runs pretty good? Not sure on what the oil pressure is.

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-05-06 14:36

    I'd do compression, blowby and oil pressure tests and if they are acceptable run it as is. Wouldn't be a bad idea to adjust the valves, check injectors, repair any leaks and do other basic maintainance. You can rebuild it any time you want in the future. Why spend the money if the engine checks out OK and runs good.

  2. #2Bryan52382022-05-06 15:01

    It does have blow by I do remember that from using it in the passed. I will go ahead and check those things. On checking the compression is there a certain fitting I need to do a compression test?

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-05-06 15:11

    If you're not familiar have a shop do it. You have to use a compression tester designed for diesels. You need the proper adapter to replace the injector.

  4. #4Bryan52382022-05-06 15:19

    I should have the kit. Maybe not the correct adapter. Rebuilt a Perkins 203 few years ago. Still have the tools

  5. #5Bryan52382022-05-06 15:27

    Now just wanting you all’s opinion. What’s the better motor. More reliable. 188 or 207?

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-05-06 19:30

    Double Post ! The same thread is in the T/L/B section.

  7. #7Bryan52382022-05-06 19:53

    Yeah that was my fault. When I joined I couldn’t find the backhoe forum

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-05-07 07:53

    It's not a problem as far as I am concerned. But, posting a double thread causes a lot of confusion and is a little frustrating to follow both of them.

  9. #9Bryan52382022-05-07 12:43

    Is there a way to delete this thread? I looked earlier couldn’t find anything

  10. #10Les12022-05-14 00:53

    Hi, What is your injector pump and lines like, I have a 350 track loader and do not injector pump or lines, if they are ok and your will to sell them what would you want? The only thing is iam in New Zealand Thank Les