Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 188D Head Removal Question

Juskatla ยท 2016-02-26 15:16

I'm posting this separate so it doesn't get lost in the other thread for my 68 580CK project. I have the head bolts/nuts off and am ready to remove the head. Other than driving something in between the head and block, is there any better method? I'm concerned about potential damage other than the head gasket which is toast anyway. I know that a few of you who look at this site have done this before and I am interested in your method. So far, everything else is going along. One day at a time...

Replies7
  1. #1kshansen2016-02-26 15:28

    Check again there must be more bolts you missed. Not sure if the 188D is like at least some other Case engines that have a bolt that you need to remove the water pump to gain access to get it out. The studs that hold the valve cover on have are installed into nuts that are on studs that also hold the head on. From what I can see in the on line parts book for Case there should be 17 bolts of three different lengths and the 2 studs with nuts that the smaller studs that hold the valve cover on the engine. It is also possible that some engines may use all studs and not the 17 bolts shown in the parts list I was looking at. Any chance of getting a serial number or at least complete model number for the machine this engine is in? That might help determining what is what. This is the link for the 188D I was looking at: http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr52345ag39134

  2. #2Juskatla2016-02-26 15:47

    Thanks, kshansen, I have the timing covers and manifolds off. The hollow bolt was mentioned elsewhere but it was missing, so the head has been off before. The only thing I discovered while searching other posts at lunch was there are two dowel pins to consider. I have all the nuts off the studs and it should come up once its broken free of the gasket. Other than getting a big screwdriver in between and pounding on it, I am not sure if there is a better way. I don't want to damage anything but maybe I'm being too careful.

  3. #3El Hombre2016-02-26 16:01

    I've popped them off using compressed air. You'll need to make an adapter to go in the injector hole. Leave some of the bolts a couple of turns loose so the head doesn't pop up and whack you. 100 psi with a 3" diameter bore and you've got 500 pounds pushing it up.

  4. #4kshansen2016-02-26 16:07

    Don't wedge anything between head and block, it will damage gasket surfaces! So I am going to assume that you have all studs and not bolts and studs like newer engines? In that case(pun intended!) count them to be sure you have a total of 19. I forget if the bolt for the rear of the rocker shaft goes all the way to the block, just to be safe I'd remove the rocker assembly if not already done. Then if you are sure all fasteners are out instead of wedging it off I'd use a block of wood against the underside of the head and smack it a few times with a good sized hammer, maybe a 4 pounder. A couple good whacks on each side should at least show some movement. If that does not work right off I might try at least loosening all the bolts in the front/timing cover including the pan bolts and give that a few good taps to be sure it is not causing the problem. I have worked on engines for about 50 years and don't recall ever having a major problem getting a head off once all bolts were out. I won't go in to the time I removed one with a bolt still in place! Front covers and oil pans can sometimes put up a fight but heads not so much. But as you say you don't think you are the first one inside this engine so it's hard to be 100% someone did not do something stupid that is causing your problem. Good luck!

  5. #5Wes J2016-02-26 16:23

    Usually what I do is find a bolt hole that goes into the side of the head and put a bolt in it. Then you can pry against that bolt and something else on the engine like a block of wood on top of the bell housing or the top of the water pump. The head should pop off pretty easily. The liner projection should be trying to pop the head loose as soon as the bolts/studs are removed.

  6. #6Juskatla2016-02-26 16:25

    Thanks everyone for their input. While I was having my lunch, I searched the forum and came up with the information about the dowel ring. Its an older engine with all studs, and yes I had all of the out. The rest is stripped down already, so nothing should be holding it back except for the gasket. After reading about the dowel rings, one at each end of the block, I sprayed PB Blaster down the space beside those two studs, and let it while cleaning up. A couple of taps with a mallet, and I got it loose. I still have to lift it off and once I get that far, will post some pics on the other thread. Back to work!

  7. #7diver2016-02-27 07:16

    good info here. I going to pull my head sometime in march if it warms a little.. cant wait to see some pictures diver