I was watching a rebuild video on a case 188D. when it came to the starter he had a ford 7.3 diesel starter on it. he says it fits fine and works great. Anyone heard of this?? thanks diver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpnVUS_aG4
Well if you have the old starter you could go to the parts store and have them pull one and compare the two. But then if you have the old one why not just rebuild it or buy a rebuilt one? A starter only has to turn the engine over fast enough to let engine start. So as long as it will bolt up and the gear meshes properly with ring gear it should work.
Thanks, I do not need one but was just wondering if anyone tried this.. thanks diver
The youtube guy tried it, right? The ford starter is a gear reduction, and obviously for a bigger engine so it would turn that engine over much easier.
Cranking speed on the original Delco is somewhat lacking when it's cold out so I'd wager there's an improvement on cold weather starting. Wilson auto electric shows a Denso brand replacement. Wilson part# 91-29-5035 . Nose does look similar to a 7.3 starter.
ok, thanks . i checked that # and its for a 1990 Ford F Super Duty Custom V8 - 7.3L vin M 445ci - MFI DIESEL.. at orileys. that could be good emergency replacement if needed thanks diver
Would the 7.3 started be a 24volt? I know the have 2 batteries but dont know if they are parrell or in series? I know the 188 is 12v...
In the pickups they're parallel 12V. I don't know about 450-550... A Chevy 7500 with a Cat is still 12V, at least some years. Two batteries parallel with two jumpers.
My ford e350 has a 7.3 and is 12 volts . Two batteries in parallel at 12 volts. Now i have been using 24 volts on my case for 4 years two batteries in series . maybe why it starts so good and quick
I didn't watch the video. I would not only be concerned whether it meshes with the flywheel, but how well it meshes. Maybe you could paint the gear with prussian blue and try it, then observe the marks left by the flywheel. It would be shame to save a few bucks using the wrong starter and then have to pull the ring gear later.
Should also be able to actually measure the distance from the mounting surface to the end of the gear on both starters with them extended. Disconnect the lead from solenoid to the motor itself and put power to the solenoid.
I should add I looked up the application for a Case 480C with a 188. So Wilson says it works for whatever that's worth. I likely will try this if the delco on my 207 poops the bed. My '99 7.3 is 12v as is Dad's '00.