I went to start my old dozer the other day and the battery was so low that the starter could barely turn the Diesel engine over a couple of revs. I put the battery charger on overnight and tried the next day. I push the starter button and nothing happens. I have tried a different battery and same results. When I push the start button, I see that the amp meter shows a -13 amps. I am thinking that since the amp meter registers a -13, that the switch must be good?? I hear no starter solenoid click when I pressed the start button, so I have replaced the solenoid. That did not help. When I turn the key counter clockwise, I can hear the manifold heater relay click. There is a second relay that looks just like the manifold heater relay. (not sure what that relay is for) I hear no click from that relay in start or heat mode. Any Ideas? Thanks
Run a test lead from the small signal terminal on the solenoid to a voltmeter while you try to start it. If you get voltage, then the starter is the problem, if no voltage then your wiring is the problem, and you need to check the pos battery cable at the solenoid while you try to start it. then you'll be tracing wires if that has voltage to.
Don't use the electric starter motor to turn over the motor , turn it over by hand , you may have water in a cylinder .Pretty obvious there is power in the battery . There could be another problem with a jammed starter motor . Jammed starter , open up and used a heavy screw driver to free the ring gear . My 1963 TD5 used to do this .
I would try and jump the starter at the solenoid either with a remote start button or a screwdriver. But first make sure engine will turn over by hand like was stated before.