Good morning all! I have an older Case 580C with a 207 diesel. I did a total rebuild on the engine. Timing is straightforward. However when I disassembled the engine the injector pump timing gear was one tooth off. I’m inclined to reassemble it with the marks matching and not how I found it. I believe it was rebuilt once before by the previous owner who was a jerk. Can anyone see a reason to have it one tooth off?
I would be checking the camshaft timing.
Like I said, it’s straight forward. Crankshaft/camshaft on the mark. The gear for the pump was one tooth off as in the picture. This picture was before disassembly. Nothing to check. The question I’m asking is if anyone sees a reason or has ever heard of a reason to do this. I have it timed perfectly at the moment.
According to the pic the idler gear isn't meshed with the cam gear. So I'd check the idler bushing and the cam gear.
It is, it’s the angle of the pic. The teeth are angled not perpendicular to the axis. Please believe me, it’s all timed perfectly. I know how to do this. My question is as I stated in the original post. Please read it. I’m asking if anyone has seen this before as I have not. The picture was BEFORE disassembly. I have since reassembled it and EVERYTHING lines up perfectly. I don’t need to check anything.
I would assemble it by aligning the dots and then checking the alignment of the timing marks inside the injector pump. It would have been good to check those marks inside the injector pump before it was dismantled. I would think the adjustment of the injector pump would have been fully rotated to one side? & the engine would have been smoky & hard to start? They usually fire at the touch of the ign key.
Align the marks and go.
they probably readjusted the pump timing to get it to run line the marks up and you will be ok
Finally! You read my post! Everything was checked. I have a Rosa Master pump. It’s either on or 180 off and it was right on. It was however very hard to start and smoked. I could never adjust it enough with the mounting bolts (the pump mount is slotted) to help. This is good to hear. I lined the marks up the way they should be just wanted to see if there might a reason otherwise. Thanks for your reply, it’s reassuring!
It always smoked and was extremely hard to start. Had to use ether most of the time which destroyed the top rings and pistons. Thanks!
Smoking and hard to start is an indication of a fuel timing problem. Among other things. The idler gear in your photo has me wondering if it is shimmed properly.