Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 350 dozer problems

floyd g · 2021-03-02 12:50

I have an older Case 350 crawler that runs good for 5 minutes and then it quits pulling forward or reverse. I know the problem is in the shuttle shift but can't figure it out. I have taken the filter completely out to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. I can turn it off for 2 minutes and then crank it and it will work for a little bit before it stops again. Please help! Is there another filter I don't know about?

Replies44
  1. #1Eric a1cnc2021-03-02 14:05

    I have a case 350 as well. When I first got mine running it wouldn't move until I added fluid. First question is, You are using case TCH oil or an equivalent right? I see yours will go for a few minutes before it stops. Do your converter temp and pressure gages work on yours? Mine do not so I can't give you my readings to compare. I believe there should be a green zone at least on the pressure gage. There are tests in the repair manual where you put a gage on the transmision to test it but lets start here

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-03-02 14:23

    Welcome to HEF, Floyd ! Was the filter you examined the one inside the shuttle oil pan ? Does the engine sound like it has a load on it when the dozer quits moving ? Like Eric says, you will prolly need to do some pressure checks.

  3. #3Vetech632021-03-02 18:28

    Sounds like a suction strainer restriction......

  4. #4floyd g2021-03-03 09:33

    Thanks for the replies. I am using tch oil and the filter was mounted to the pipe coming in to the shuttle on the right side. I took it out completely just to make sure I had oil flow. I will try a couple of things next week and reply back as to my progress. I love my 350 when it runs. Thanks for the help. Floyd g.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-03-03 11:19

    You really need to change and or clean the filter in the shuttle oil sump.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2021-03-05 22:47

    Are you checking shuttle oil level with the engine running?

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2021-03-05 22:49
  8. #8Coltwayne452021-09-29 19:40

    I too just bought a case 350 dozer and it will not move . Has a bad leak coming out of the left side sprocket on the final drive . Will this fluid loss cause it not to move? Unfamiliar with these machines

  9. #9Coltwayne452021-09-29 19:41

    What type oil is required? Would yours even attempt to move?

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-09-29 20:02

    Unfortunately floyd g never came back with any follow up information about his problem. Sometimes there is a legitimate reason for that sometimes not. He has not logged in since April. The oil leaking out of your final drive (sprocket). will not stop the machine from moving. Unless the gears inside the final drive fail from lack of oil. Check the shuttle oil level CW45.

  11. #11floyd g2021-09-30 10:04

    Sorry guys I haven't been on for awhile. I cleaned the screen in the shuttle pan twice and finally getting some hours running. Mine leaks oil on the left drive sprocket too but that doesn't stop it from moving. I took the bottom pan of the shuttle off and cleaned some awful thick paste like junk twice. I think I'm fixed now. Put a new inline filter on also but it was hard to find.

  12. #12Coltwayne452021-10-04 19:46

    Ok guys I did find my issue! Once I finally got it home and unloaded I pulled the floor land and Mine was simply low fluid level in the reverser! Went right to moving but the final drive bearings are shot so now I’m replacing everything including the steering brakes and do a fluid flush and change on everything. Currently stripping and sand blasting the paint

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2021-10-04 23:19

    Post pics of progress please.

  14. #14RFRANCESE2026-02-14 09:22

    Hello. I have a case 350 also. Would anyone know why the driveshaft to the transmission doesn’t stop spinning after making it difficult to change gears. Thanks for any suggestions Rich.

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 09:29

    If you put shuttle in neutral can you shift gears then?

  16. #16RFRANCESE2026-02-14 09:48

    No. Drive shaft just keeps spinning. If you move the shuttle lever from forward to reverse driveshaft just switches directions.

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 09:57

    Well I’m thinking you have an issue in the shuttle itself and will need to rebuild it.

  18. #18RFRANCESE2026-02-14 12:11

    I greatly appreciate you getting back to me. The torque converter was supposedly rebuilt in 2021 by a case dealership if that is something that can be done. I’m guessing the torque converter and shuttle are in the same housing and can you rebuild one and not the other? Thanks Rich.

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 13:31

    The Case 350 crawler doesn’t have a rebuildable torque converter it’s a sealed unit. The FnR shuttle can be rebuilt it is just like the ones in the 580C through the early 580k backhoes. The one difference being is the clutch material for forward clutch disc.

  20. #20RFRANCESE2026-02-14 19:36

    I’m going to look into rebuild kits for the shuttle and hope it’s not too complicated of a job. Just to clarify, the driveshaft should not be spinning with engine at an idle with shuttle and transmission in neutral. Thanks again Rich.

  21. #21Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 19:41

    Correct; and when you search for the rebuild kit remember what I said about forward clutch disc they are made of a metal material. Of course the regular clutch disc will work if push comes to shove.

  22. #22RFRANCESE2026-02-14 19:47

    Will do. Thanks.

  23. #23Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 19:48

    One other thing be sure and check oil in shuttle and gear box.

  24. #24RFRANCESE2026-02-14 20:04

    Oil in shuttle was a little low so I added some. No change. Transmission was good but a funny yellow color. I need to drain and replace. You’re not in New Hampshire because we can do this together.

  25. #25Coy Lancaster2026-02-14 20:13

    Yeah the gear box probably has a bit of water in it. I believe it’s gear oil that goes in it. Well afraid I’m not in the New Hampshire area I’m in Arkansas.

  26. #26RFRANCESE2026-02-14 20:15

    HaHaHa. Ok. A bit far away! Again THANKS!

  27. #27Andy K2026-02-18 14:11

    I had a 350B for about 15 years. Sold it to my brother and it’s still going strong. Is it spinning when it’s at operating temp? You have to be fast about shifting those gears. If it has the wrong oil or the oil is thick from being cold. There’s a chance the driveshaft is going along for a free ride making it hard to shift. If there was any torque on the shaft the machine would inch forward in neutral. If it was my machine, zero chance I’d pull it apart until it stopped moving. If it has good power, I’d leave it in 2nd and run the snot out of it until it didn’t move anymore. If shifting gears is that important, turn it off, shift and restart. We all like to keep everything 100% but it’s still a 45-50yr old machine.

  28. #28RFRANCESE2026-02-18 14:31

    When I just start it and everything is cold the driveshaft is barely moving. As it starts warming up driveshaft is turning faster and faster at operating temp. It’s impossible to shift to a different gear unless you move the shuttle to reverse or forward which ever your not in and time it as the shaft has to switch directions. This 350 needs a lot of work and since I’m taking things apart I’m trying to fix what ever I can. I can’t see the machine was made to work this way. Greatly appreciate your input and I’ll take any other advice you have. Thanks Rich.

  29. #29JimInOz2026-02-18 15:26

    Case made very informative Shop Manuals.I've always been impressed by their manuals,compared to many other manufacturers. I'd get myself a copy of one from Tradebit or other sources.

  30. #30RFRANCESE2026-02-18 15:53

    Thanks. I have the service manual and it doesn’t mention this problem at all.

  31. #31Bill timberline2026-03-03 21:20

    RFRANCESE, Did you find the problem? I have a case 350 that the driveshaft won’t stop when I put it in neutral. I had the shuttle valve machined and chromed because it was very worn but same issue when I put it back together.

  32. #32RFRANCESE2026-03-03 21:49

    I have not found the problem yet. I’ve been working on steering issues on the machine. In the next day or so I’m going to pull out the shuttle. The shuttle was removed by my son and rebuilt by a case dealership in New York back in 2021. He put it all back together and it’s been impossible to shift to a different gear at an idle. He never used it because it had steering issues so it just sat in his barn. I fixed the steering and next is the shuttle. But I don’t know what I’m lookin for. I’m going to case tomorrow to pick up parts so I’ll ask some questions. Different dealership! If I find out anything I’ll let you know.

  33. #33Bill timberline2026-03-03 21:54

    Sounds good. I had the shuttle completely out and its a quick and easy job. Everything else looked good inside except the valve that turns when shifting FNR. That’s what I had to have built up with chrome and machined to fit. It had a lot of slop in it and I thought oil must be bypassing around it when it was in neutral.

  34. #34RFRANCESE2026-03-07 09:43

    I went to case to p/u parts. All techs were in training and service manager was out on a road call. I have to go back this coming week to p/u some gaskets. Hopefully someone will be there to answer some questions about the shuttle

  35. #35Welder Dave2026-03-07 17:37

    Everybody that would/should be able to you is convenienty not available! Why isn't that surprising??

  36. #36Coy Lancaster2026-03-07 17:54

    I hate to tell you this but you’ll be hard pressed to find any tech that knows anything about a 360 crawler.

  37. #37RFRANCESE2026-03-07 19:48

    I agree. But I’m at a dead end. If this shuttle was rebuilt by case in 2021 and the machine has maybe 10 hrs on it. What am I looking for??? I pulled the shuttle out today but did not take it apart. Could the torque converter be the problem

  38. #38Welder Dave2026-03-07 22:05

    That's kind of what I was referring to. Not likely any older mechanics around so everybody is busy with other stuff. Then the dealer doesn't look bad for not being able to help you.

  39. #39Coy Lancaster2026-03-08 20:25

    It kind of sounds like the forward clutch is stuck engaged. But ya won’t know until you dig into it.

  40. #40RFRANCESE2026-03-08 20:32

    Thanks. That gives me something to look for.

  41. #41RFRANCESE2026-04-03 06:38

    Well, I finally took the shuttle apart and as far as I can see everything looks good. All forward and reverse clutch discs look new as I mentioned this was rebuilt in 2021 by case and barely used after that. Put all back together and reinstalled it on the machine. No change! Drive line is still spinning while in neutral. Pressure only goes down to about 90 psi in neutral and 115 or so in forward and reverse. When I shift from forward to reverse pressure drops to 40 or so then comes right back up. What should the pressure be while in neutral. Should it drop down real low??? Is there a bypass while in the neutral position? Thank you all for any advice.

  42. #42Coy Lancaster2026-04-03 08:30

    Okay on your shuttle control valve that runs through the housing there is a pressure regulator valve it may be stuck. You’ll have to remove valve to get to it.

  43. #43RFRANCESE2026-04-03 08:39

    This is the FNR controller on top of shuttle?

  44. #44Coy Lancaster2026-04-03 08:54

    Yes There are two different shuttles for those machines. You can look in your parts book to determine which you have.