Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 350 Starter for 188D

Eric a1cnc ยท 2025-06-03 11:13

I have a 1970'ish Case 350 dozer. The motor has been rebuilt with low hours. It has run previously but now my starter is weak and spins the motor too slowly. I have cleaned all the contacts to no avail. Even tried a 200 amp battery charger hooked directly to the starter and same results. I want to change it for a gear reduction starter like my 580C has. Any recommendations on a starter that will fit? TIA

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2025-06-03 14:27

    I don't, but be careful when you buy a starter because some of the 188's use a 9 tooth pinon gear and some used a 10 tooth pinion gear. It has been my experience that some bozo in the past had changed a starter and it had the wrong pinion gear. It resulted in slow a cranking speed and breaking the end off of the armature in the bell-housing. I had to count the number of teeth on the flywheel ring gear to be sure the new replacement was the correct one.

  2. #2Eric a1cnc2025-06-03 14:52

    Hmm, I wonder if that could be the problem. I know it used to crank over faster but now you have me wondering which one I should have in it

  3. #3Eric a1cnc2025-06-10 21:07

    I bought a gear reduction starter from amazon. All I can say is WOW! I wasn't able to get the dozer started even with a 200 amp jump start hooked directly to the old starter. With this new one and a crappy battery that would only spin the old one over WITH a jumper on it the dozer fired right up within 1/2 second without the jumper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6U32LQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title