Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 40 XT won’t start

Bossross81 ยท 2024-12-01 00:52

Not sure what the issue is, but my Case 40XT won't start. I plowed out my yard the other day and it ran good as always, but today it wouldn't start. Fuses are all good and stuff, but like I said it cranks over, but won't start ..I posted a similar post couple years ago, but that turned out to be the pull down lap belt thing, I didn't have it all the way up is all it was ..And let me mention, I don't have my door on, haven't for 3 years now (which I got the latch taped up) ..I'm just wondering if that door button thing that I got taped up is shot and that's why it won't let me start it?? ..Is there any other possible issues that I'm missing and could be?? ..Thanks for time guys!!!

Replies16
  1. #1Simon C2024-12-01 10:46

    That door switch is to prevent ripping off the door when actuating the boom up. No door switch and no hydraulics. Cranking and no start would point towards no fuel, like a fuel solenoid, defective glow plug circuit if it has one, or plugged fuel filters. Better check for fuel out of injection lines before starting the parts cannon. Hope fuel is not froze up with summer fuel or something like that. When were fuel filters changed last. How fast was engine cranking over is another thing to check. Hope it helps. Simon C

  2. #2Bossross812024-12-01 15:13

    Hey Simon, thanks for this. I read somewhere that there's some kinda solenoid on the floor that if bumped it'll shut your machine down in which it won't let you start it ..You know anything bout that?? ..And I also read there's some kinda safety thing in the seat or something ..Can't remember how the guy had it worded, but something bout the seat ..Know anything bout that?? ..As for the fuel situation ..My machine did have a 1/3 of summer diesel, but topped it off the other day with winter clear diesel along with some Howes diesel conditioner ..I bleed the injectors so I'm getting fuel ..But what I'm gonna do is parachute the machine with a portable heater and see if that thaws it out ..If ya know anything bout the kill switch on the floor and seat, just let me know ..or if anybody does that be muchly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

  3. #3Bossross812024-12-01 15:35

    Since I bought it brand new in 2005 it might of slept in my shop handful of times other than that it stays outside under shelter ..This is why I think it's not a fuel problem cause its never let me down since brand new ..Knock on wood, but in the 19 yrs Ive had it it's only costed me a water pump ..But ya ..Myself I think it's gotta be a safety switch or solenoid that's either f@cked or tripped ..But where are the 3 safety solenoids that they claim there is ..One for the door, that one I know about, but the other 2 I'm gonna need some help locating!!!

  4. #4Arny L2024-12-01 17:18

    I believe seat occupant sensor is what your trying to describe. If it fails, or nobody is seating in seat, it could prevent engine from starting. I would check that next. You could also try, slamming yourself into seat a few times, and see if it starts working.

  5. #5Simon C2024-12-01 18:44

    Arny L's comment above is a good and cheap possibility. Before the parts cannon fires. Simon C

  6. #6Bossross812024-12-01 18:59

    -16 feels like -21 here today so I didn't even f@#k with it today ..Got one of welding trucks down so I'm dealing with that!!! ..These new trucks now a days are complete garbage ..Frustrating few days I must say ..The occupant sensor is located where abouse?? ..That skidsteer has never let me down so I don't know where to look LOL!!! ..Thanks guys for your input!!!

  7. #7Simon C2024-12-01 19:16

    Seat sensor is in or under the seat somewhere. Try throwing some weight into the seat as suggested above to see if it makes any difference. Some can be temporarily by-passed for testing and moving into a warmer place to change out . Don't use like that if it works. A schematic would be so handy and can be bought through the dealership. I have 2 from some different newer models, but not yours. Simon C

  8. #8Bossross812024-12-01 22:13

    I forgot to mention that I did sit in the seat with the lap belt on, but still nothing ..It's suppose to warm up here tomorrow so I'll see what tomorrow brings ..Worse comes to worse I'll phone my dealership and get them to come look at it ..What year are your skidsteers?? ..My 2005 Case 40XT is only got 1143 hours on it ..Bought it for work as it paid for itself in the first couple years, but the oil company sold out shortly after so the skidsteer doesn't get much use ..Thought bout getting a new JD 333, but I don't use the one I got lol!!! ..One of those things I guess!!! ..I'll keep ya posted on what happens with that thing, hopefully by mid week I'll have it going!!!

  9. #9Bossross812024-12-02 15:19

    Hey Simon, how do I exactly by pass it so I can test it and get it into my shop?? ..I've never had to do this or have I heard of it, but I'd like to know how for now and future circumstances. Thanks

  10. #10Simon C2024-12-02 15:25

    If it is a 2 wire switch, putting a wire from 1 pin to the other pin of the harness connector will usually by pass the switch. It pretends the contacts in the switch have closed as if you are sitting on it. If it is a 3 wire connector, not sure if it can be done without some extra stuff. Simon C

  11. #11Bossross812024-12-02 15:29

    This is gonna sound stupid, but which switch am I gonna wanna be doing this with??

  12. #12Simon C2024-12-02 18:29

    Switch that is in the seat or in the base of the seat that your rearend pushes down on to close the contacts. Not a dumb question, I wasn't born knowing that, and neither were you. If it is a 2 wire plug, holding the harness plug in your hand put a jumper from one pin to another, not on the seat half, but on the harness half. Don't feel scared to ask. Simon C

  13. #13Bossross812024-12-02 19:29

    I got it running and your not gonna believe what it was ..The cab wasn't tighten down all the way so it built up ice in between so it wasn't making contact ..Was by fluke that it happened to be what it was ..I guess when the young fella did the service on it, it didn't get tightened all the way down. All good though, **** happens!!! ..Just wanna thank you guys for taking the time to answer my questions, muchly appreciated!!!

  14. #14Simon C2024-12-02 19:33

    Loose cab with no path back to ground is what you are describing. Glad you got it going. Simon C

  15. #15Bossross812024-12-02 19:35

    And I dug my manual out on that thing and found everything that I needed on them 3 indicators ..I'm gonna sit down tonight and read the whole manual, something I should of done years ago. LOL!!!

  16. #16Bossross812024-12-02 19:37

    Talk bout a fluke though ..I can't believe I happened to come across that ..She fired right up after I got it tightened!!!