Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 400 series track machine: Iveco engine only?

ltp1028 ยท 2015-02-27 15:56

I have heard that all the 400 series track machines (circa '05 - '10') have Iveco engines in them. I also heard of someone in Indiana w/ a Cummins in a 450CT. OK, now I know the Iveco's have a Cummins block (or something of that sort) but If we were to purchase one w/ an Iveco in it and have to replace the engine down the road it would be approx $20k. If it had a Cummins in it would be approx $10k. Therefore, we want to buy one w/ a Cummins in it. Can anyone help clarify this for us. Thanks! Tony Peterson Armour Concrete 214.882.0011

Replies5
  1. #1apetad2015-02-27 19:11

    We had a customer who swore he had a cummins. The guy he bought it from thought it was a cummins also. I think they might have made the Iveco look that way on purpose. I bet the guy in Indiana THINKS he has a cummins.

  2. #2JNB2015-02-27 19:36

    I was reading about the Cummins / Iveco relationship on a boating forum. From some of the other stuff I've read, the Case engine looks like a Cummins but its not. http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?306183-iveco-nef-Vs-cummins-qsb

  3. #3KSSS2015-02-28 01:33

    I would be very surprised if it cost that much to replace a 4.5L Iveco. I think it honestly sounds ridiculous. I have had a lot of Cummins and four 4.5 Iveco and one 3.2, and one 3.4L Iveco. I have nothing but positive to say about them. I think the 4.5 pulls harder than does a 3.9T, certainly recovered faster. I was at the factory doing a customer clinic when they were changing from the 3.9 to the 4.5 and so forth. There was some very dedicated Cummins customers that were very upset, until they ran the Iveco. As to repair costs, certainly the Cummins 3.9 would be cheaper to completely replace since there are so many of them. The Iveco can be bought as a reman from CASE and while I don't have a price on one, I am sure it would not be 20K. I am not aware of any 400 series skid steer with a Cummins in it. They ended with the XT's. I would not be afraid of an Iveco engine, especially in a 400 series, they are capable of a lot more hp than what they are set at in the skid steers..

  4. #4ltp10282015-02-28 11:09

    Thank you all for your insight/info! I will pass it along to the owner and mechanic. I am soooo glad I found this place. I will be a great resource for me as I am not very mechanically inclined or edumacated. Have a great weekend! Tony Peterson 2 - 60xt 2 - 90xt 2 - JD 17d mini's 1 - Cat 801.5 mini

  5. #5durallymax2015-02-28 13:24

    Cummins and Iveco engines can get a bit confusing at times. They shared some things but not always. Not many people have to completely replace a CTL/SSL engine so I'm not sure I would let that be very important when it comes to deciding on a machine. The prices I see for the engine in a 450CT are 10-13k complete from Case. You can likely rebuild it much much cheaper when that time comes if it ever does.