Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 435 Skid Steer

prudog ยท 2011-07-13 10:52

I bought a 2006 Case 435 skid steer (series 1) last year with 300 hours. Last winter, when loading hay on cold days, the boom would get stuck after the parking brake was applied. The machine would move, but the boom controls were still locked. It would eventually free itself after actuating the controls several times, but it worried me to say the least. Any ideas? The machine was originally used in chicken houses and the belly has some dried chicken crap in it. I know it could be problematic with rusted fittings if/when I have to service something and I should have cleaned it when I bought it. I just read a thread about a locking pin on 1845C machines requiring a clean belly and wonder if this problem could be similar?

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2011-07-13 18:18

    Does your 435 have manual hydraulics or servo controls? Either way it will have safety solonoids fitted to the control valve which lock the lift/crowd controls when brake is applied. The lift solonoid has a manual override on it to allow the loader frame to be lowered without electrics working - this could be your problem - chicken manure = rust - make sure this manual release is working freely. There could also be electrical issues with the safety solonoids.

  2. #2prudog2011-07-15 11:04

    Sounds like I need to bite the bullet and start looking for service manuals. I now have 2 Case machines with intermittent problems. :Banghead I bought this 435 to supplement a Case 1845C that has starting problems. I really liked the 2 speed option and the price on the 435 machine. The 1845C has never left me stranded, but turning the key 15-20 times until it decided to start is not cool. It blew the 30 amp fuse between switch and starter last year. I replaced switch and things seemed better. It always starts cold, however, it now seems tempermental when hot. So I have one hot-natured, and one cold-natured machine. I don't run them 50 hours per year stacking hay, but it is KEY to my haying operation. It may be several weeks, but I shall investigate in the coming months before winter. Really busy with haying and job and kids and life. Thanks again.

  3. #3alrman2011-07-15 18:35

    Re 1845C starting issue, you might find this thread helpful - HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4prudog2011-08-19 11:01

    Boom Controls Stuck Well, this monster worked it way out and the problem is happening every time safety locks are actuated. Pushing the parking brake button several times will sometimes free the controls. I can hear a faint click when the controls release. I bought a repair manual, but it is useless (to me) since there are no pictures and little discussion of safety controls. I guess I might have to bite the bullet and go the shop unless someone can tell me where I might be able to look and what it will look like. Is this a solenoid that would look similar to that on a starter? I guess it has a switch actuated by the operator bar or button on operator controls? I will raise the cab this weekend and see what I can figure out, but I am not very hopeful at this point.

  5. #5dirty4fun2011-08-19 20:07

    It might be the computer that is causing the problem. I had a 445 that had problems with the safetys and once and a while you couldn't get it to unlock. A new computer solved that for me. Hope you have some luck and get it working, soon.

  6. #6KSSS2011-08-19 22:21

    Both my 06 440 and 07 465 had the same issue. Replaced the console and it solved the problem. I think it cost around $285 if I remember right. Although the dealer has to program the hours back in it, if you care about that.