Hi It says in the case manual that new seal kits are available for the master cylinders,is this still possible and has anybody got the type or make of the master cylinder, is it Lockheed? Thanks Ian
I suggest taking a look at the cylinders before you try ordering anything, if they're badly pitted you'd need more than just seals. What is currently wrong, do they work but leak, or are they seized up and you want to fix them? It's not that common to have a 450 with working brakes as the cylinders are a bit crap, difficult to access and rarely needed unless you're on steep hills.
Thanks for replying Bill, I think I was beings a bit optimistic by thinking a seal kit may do the trick, the brake pedals are seizes solid and the master cylinders are bone dry, I don't think they have seen oil for some time and indeed one of the master cylinder screw caps is missing. I think it will be a total strip down and see what the lie of the land is! Hopefully we can get the brakes working and as I have read they are only brakes and not to be used in conjunction with track slewing.
Well the pedals can be freed off but it's highly, highly doubtful that the master cylinders are usable in their current state. If you're determined you could probably get them repaired by using a stainless steel sleeve to repair the pitted bore, it's used on classic cars etc where new cylinders aren't readily available, but may not be cheap. The brakes can be used to steer the machine, there is a declutch control valve you can set which disengages the clutch when you press the brake pedal should you wish to use it this way. However, I found that since the original master cylinders are so knackered and awkward to access it wasn't worth the bother. Yes you can turn sharper with the brakes which is quite nice in a tight spot but for 98% of the time I found it unnecessary, and so I ended up fitting a car brake cylinder instead which goes to both brakes together which is used purely to stop/hold the machine when working on a hill. That's the only time that I've found a real need for the brakes.
Ianto, I have the same issue but pedals are free. What did you end up doing?
There should be a number cast into the master cyl. take it to a NAPA and see if they can cross it