Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 dozer thoughts /opinions/ideas

goldhunter_2 · 2024-02-09 14:01

Ok I have some ideas but all expensive so I figured I get some of ya'lls opinions/ideas to be sure . I bought this little case 450 dozer for my son about two years ago now , he does change filters and oil often (more then I would to be honest) He runs it like it is a D6 lol , she leaks some and little worn but does the job. I believe its a 1971 or there about , steering pedals have never work common on case we always use the hand controls, we just install four new hose though the blade arm (that was fun) and a new tensionor on right side a few weeks ago ok now the problem, he has to rev rpms to get to move but does walk around, spin both ways all fine, but if try to backup hill or push something to doesn't go (always happens when you need to use stuff lol) we have filled the trans fluid , clean the suction screen , tighten the big hose form suction to pump . I was thinking there was a screen filter on the back rear of these little dozers but been quite a few years since I messed with one maybe that was JD can't remmeber now, my son bought a manual but can't find any filter screen showing back there . My first thought is need buy new torque converter and figure out how to install, but expensive and time consuming guess My second thought would be buy a new gear pump , still expensive guess but much easier and faster to install Am I missing anything , or do ya'll have any other ideas ?

Replies20
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-02-09 14:47

    You need to check transmission pressure first

  2. #2goldhunter_22024-02-09 14:53

    trans gauge runs up to the middle witch I believe is 200 and the toque convert gauge usually goes to 25-50 says when he puts in gear after gets hot he hears a howling towards the front and both the pressure gauge drop nothing

  3. #3Oxbow2024-02-09 15:37

    I can't help with your issue, but I ran one of those for a bit in 77. If memory serves it has tow speed steering on the sticks between your legs (and go over much of a hump and your nuts hit the sticks) and a floor throttle rather than a decelerator. Is that correct? That was a long time ago!

  4. #4MG842024-02-09 18:00

    Sounds like it could be the transmission charge pump. It's a lot cheaper and easier to change than a torque converter. I'm not entirely familiar with the earlier models, I have a 1987 Case 450C and it only has a transmission pressure gauge and a converter temp gauge. Is that similar?

  5. #5goldhunter_22024-02-09 18:01

    lol yes we call them nut buster because when you stand up you have to watch out lol the accelerator pedal on floor and hand lever increase throttle not a decelerator like newer dozers

  6. #6goldhunter_22024-02-09 18:07

    similar yes, I think the torque converter gauge is PSI but now you say temp I have to look at it again lol to me both are expensive fixes we looked up torque converter $4,000 and pump $750

  7. #7clueless22024-02-12 07:30

    Was the suction line filter changed when the transmission filter was changed. If they were, was there any improvement for a short time ?

  8. #8goldhunter_22024-02-14 19:43

    ok today was maintenance day most of witch spend upside down twisted inside a bobcat to tighten an new hose on main pump (oh fun) I also removed the case 450 charge pump and by no means is this pump in great condition however I don't think it is scared enough for total loss of power either . now issue does happen after running a bit so hyd fluid is hot/thin and I could see some loss but the pictures show much more scratching then I can actual feel, I did not mic it but guess maybe be 0.001 I think I am going to order a new one however I am not convinced after seeing this pump that it is my issue for total loss of power , look for someone who dealt with this before maybe some ideas? also I still think there should be another screen filter in the tank at pickup , what are ya'll thougts????

  9. #9goldhunter_22024-02-15 09:11

    is there a filter under one of these plates in rear ? I keep thinking I remember old dozers had there but that mite have been deere not case does anyone know if one of this is a screen?

  10. #10goldhunter_22024-02-15 09:15

    sorry thought I replied to this must have forgotten to hit reply. suction filter is just a screen it was cleaned when filter was changed and again the other day . no noticeably difference like I said has been running good he pushing piles of trees and leveling ground before this issue just started happening as we started doing another section of road work

  11. #11barkoguru2024-02-15 15:32

    On my td7 international the suction hose was collapsing on the inside and restricting flow to the pump under acceleration and pushing a load, it would stop pushing until it sit for few minutes then take off again, hose looked decent on the outside but inside resembled a clogged artery.

  12. #12goldhunter_22024-02-15 17:30

    that actual sounds similar , I am going to order a pump, but mite get new suction hose to, really it is only that big hose between suction screen and pump I think back side of suction is a hard line

  13. #13barkoguru2024-02-15 19:25

    This 1 1/4 ID suction hose is about six inches long with about two inches exposed to the oil, sure scratched my head for a little bit on this on.

  14. #14goldhunter_22024-02-15 19:41

    oh wow now that is a surprise , I need to look at mine tomorrow lol my hose is close to two feet long think I will get new hose just to be safe

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-02-17 03:17

    You should loosen the tracks some too. They look like they're tightened like piano wire. Being excessively tight will take more power to move among other more serious things.

  16. #16BC Placer gold2024-02-18 02:06

    Yes, hard on front idler bearings….track chain pins/bushings.

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-02-18 03:17

    Sprockets, final drives, etc., etc. Just hard on everything.

  18. #18thebaz2024-02-19 05:56

    "is there a filter under one of these plates in rear ? I keep thinking I remember old dozers had there but that mite have been deere not case does anyone know if one of this is a screen?" those plates on the rear are bearing caps, there is no filter under any of them.

  19. #19goldhunter_22024-03-06 10:59

    ok sorry taken so long to get back with a update I replaced the charge pump about $700-800, then went in search of a new suction hose per barkoguru suggestion after about five shops I found one store with short piece of hose under shelf it took them for ever to figure out what it cost $80 for 2 feet ouch but it works now dozer pushing its little heart out , and that track adjuster rod finally popped onto the spring bolt and loosened up track

  20. #20skyking12024-03-06 12:13

    Thanks for the update. How did that old hose look inside?