Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 dozer won’t start

TCAT426 ยท 2021-04-28 06:48

I have a case 450 dozer that will not start, getting plenty of fuel through the injectors What else would cause it not to run ?

Replies19
  1. #1Eric a1cnc2021-04-28 13:23

    Not enough info to really help you yet. Does it do ANYTHING when turning over? Smoke, Try to start? How old is the fuel? What is the history on this no start, Did you just get it and it NEVER started or, it was running, sat and now won't start? Help us help you

  2. #2TCAT4262021-04-28 13:32

    New fuel, fuel filters and cleaned the injectors, set them to around 2500psi, getting smoke when cranking over. I am getting plenty of fuel through the injectors, I hooked them up to the injection lines before I installed them, firing order is correct, not sure why it won't start

  3. #3TCAT4262021-04-28 13:34

    It was running really good, sat for a week and wouldn't start

  4. #4Eric a1cnc2021-04-28 14:07

    If it is turning over good and fast it might be worth bleeding the injectors. I usually find mine need to turn over good and fast to actually start. Will it start or at least fire with a whiff of ether? I also am finding if there is any fuel leakage and I turn off the fuel tank shutoff before it sits for a while, I end up bleeding the system to get it running again

  5. #5TCAT4262021-04-28 15:37

    I'm going to try the ether tonight when I get home from work

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-04-29 07:41

    Check the fuel shut-off lever on the injection pump. It is possible the end of the cable is broken or came off. Or the lever may not be turning the shaft.

  7. #7Vetech632021-04-29 08:21

    You set them?

  8. #8TCAT4262021-04-29 09:48

    I tried the ether last night still didn't start, so I pulled the valve cover of to see if the push rods were bent or not moving freely. I tried restarting it and it started, not sure why but it did, while it was running noticed the top low pressure rail was leaking, so I need to replace the seals, The machine ran for about 5 minutes and then it quit, tried to restart and it would not. So next step is replace the top rail seals and try again

  9. #9Eric a1cnc2021-04-29 10:07

    How much ether are you spraying? I find I have to give a 1/2 second squirt into the opening, wait a 1/2 second then turn it over for the ether to actually get the engine to fire. I also find that if the engine doesn't fire after spraying and I wait a couple seconds for the starter to cool, SOMETIMES there is still enough ether in the air filter to get it to fire. YMMV

  10. #10TCAT4262021-04-29 10:19

    Maybe a second of spray, then I try to start it

  11. #11TCAT4262021-04-29 10:24

    Yes they are adjustable for pressure, not sure if 2500psi is correct, could be letting to much fuel into the motor

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-04-29 10:44

    from the 188d service manual

  13. #13TCAT4262021-04-29 14:59

    Thanks this will help with the trouble shooting

  14. #14TCAT4262021-04-29 15:01

    It looks like it's working ok, but I will recheck it, Thanks

  15. #15Eric a1cnc2021-04-29 15:56

    Did you open the top of the injection pump to check it or just from the outside?

  16. #16TCAT4262021-04-29 19:06

    Just from the outside, I pulled the injectors out of the head, and hooked them up to the injector pump and cranked it over so fuel is spraying out of the injectors. I took a video but not sure how to post it

  17. #17thepumpguysc2021-04-30 08:06

    Post the inj. pump # off the name plate please..

  18. #18TCAT4262021-04-30 11:14

    It has a Roosa Master injector pump Model # DBGFCC 431-29AJ. 2000 Serial # 1360506. A-35775

  19. #19Tinkerer2021-05-01 08:52

    Videos cannot be posted on HEF. They have to be hosted on another site such as YouTube. Then it can be embeded (watched) here.