Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 injection timing

Paramajic4 · 2024-01-20 23:09

I have a Case 450 Tier 3 skid steer. It seems to me to be smoking excessively. It does seem to run fine and is not missing. It has recently had the injection pump and injectors replaced, as well as the fuel filters. I read in another thread that advancing the timing a degree or 2 can help. The thread I read was referencing a 430 and I am not sure if it was tier 2 or 3. Can the timing be advanced on the Tier 3 and if so, what is the procedure? I can not seem to find a manual for the engine anywhere. I have just changed the oil and air filters. It runs fine just smokes more than I think it should. I am also in Colorado at 6000 feet it that matters. Any insight?

Replies9
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-01-21 01:04

    The inj pump can be turned left or right to adjust the timing.. U must tighten the nuts/bolts holding the pump to the block after every adjustment.!!! Otherwise you’ll end up with 2 pieces.. Good luck

  2. #2Vetech632024-01-21 08:15

    Are you sure it is fuel smoke and not an oil burn?

  3. #3Paramajic42024-01-21 09:44

    Not 100%, but have seen a few wore out oil smoking engines and this seems different. Strong fuel odor.

  4. #4Paramajic42024-01-21 09:45

    Do you know, looking the engine from the front of the machine, which way to turn pump to advance?retard timing?

  5. #5thepumpguysc2024-01-21 10:02

    Watch the fan blades.. it’s not 100% but that usually tells u which way the engine rotates.. To ADVANCE the timing, u want to go the OPPOSITE DIRECTION of normal rotation.. Go in small increments.. 1* of pump timing is 2* engine.. Make a mark on your pump and one on the block so u know where u started from..

  6. #6Paramajic42024-01-21 15:33

    Thanks, looking at the current pump position it is turned all the way to one side, can't imagine that's good

  7. #7Paramajic42024-01-21 20:36

    Another issue that I have with this machine that i would like to get a handle on before I mess with the timing is an issue with cold starting. I should probably give little history on the machine first. This machine has about 4000 hours on it. I bought it as somewhat of a "project". The machine had been sitting for a about a year because, according to the previous owner, the injector pump went out. They removed the pump and took it in for rebuild. Subsequently, the rebuild shop "misplaced" the pump and ended up replacing it with a new (not rebuilt) unit. The previous owner never installed the pump and decided to get rid of the machine. That's where I come in. I purchased the unit and had the local Case dealer install the pump. They installed it, got it running and did a systems check. They recommended some injector cleaner and went on their way. Another part of the story is that the previous owner had bypassed the control unit and the ignition switch. They ran a hot wire to the fuel solenoid and left the other (I think it has to do with cold starting) wire on the pump disconnected. I have since replaced the control unit a corrected the wiring issues. The current issue is that the machine is incredibly difficult to start cold. Once it starts, it will idle weakly and the throttle has no effect on the engine speed. It will not throttle up. It will do this for about five plus minutes. Eventually, if I turn it off, recycle the heating element and start it, will power up and run fine. I have done the following to the unit: Replaced the injectors Replaced the fuel filter Drained the tank and put in fresh fuel Changed the oil and filter Replaced the air cleaner Checked the turbo (shaft is tight, spins freely and not wet oil residue) Thoughts/suggestions Thanks

  8. #8Simon C2024-01-21 21:11

    Have the valves been set in first 4000 hours. All fuel injection systems wear with the pump becoming retarded injection. But yours was replaced so you need to get the timing adjusted dead on to have a starting point for testing. Have you hooked up fuel pressure gages to check for sufficient flow of fuel to pump. These are easy to do tests without sending huge sums of money to dealer with no fix. need to start somewhere. Simon C

  9. #9Paramajic42024-01-22 23:12

    Unknown if the valves have ever been adjusted. Would like to do it but can't find a manual detailing the procedure. Need to purchase some gauges to check the fuel pressure. Any chance a bad prime pump would cause similar issues. Does anyone know where I can get a manual specific to this engine (MT445T/M3)? The shop manual I have does not cover hardly anything on the engine. My dealer gave me a manual for Iveco engines, but none look like the 445. Very confusing.