Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 450- no low speed on right side track???

Cooper110 ยท 2012-06-22 11:57

I recently purchased an older case 450. I beleive its about a 73-74 and its got the 4 way blade. The machine sat for about 7 or 8 years prior to me buying it. The dozer barely ran when I got so I didn't use it other than to move it across my lot from the trailer to the shop. I didn't play much with the tranny prior to tearing it down. Then came the big project. I tore down the motor and rebuilt it completely. All new engine kit. liners, pistons, etc.... Had the head rebuilt and put in all new valve train. I Rebuilt the injection pump and also put in four new injectors. It now runs like the day it was new and I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out. Now my issue after doing all of this is that I started running it a little and found out that the right side track only wants to move in the high speed stick position(forward stick). When I pull it back for the low speed position it does nothing. The left side track drives both in the (forward stick) high speed position and (back stick) in the low speed position. I also tried to shut the motor down, switch the tranny into the high range side, and see if it changed. I get the same results on the high range side of the tranny. Other than the low speed right side track position everything else seems to work fine both forward and reverse. The machines brakes do not currently work but i don't beleive this should affect anything with the track speed selection? Also this machine does not appear to have the declutch feature when you step partially onto the brake pedal to declutch the track speed and take it out of the driving position. Anybody have any ideas on what is going on or things I can trouble shoot to diagnose what is going on with the right side track?? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Replies1
  1. #1sheepfoot2012-06-22 16:04

    Cooper110, you will need to get a pressure gauge in the line to that clutch pack and check the pressure, things that can be done with out going and pulling the trans., check the hose going to it, could have blockage in it, front cap on trans rt side under the floor board with the two hoses running to it, remove bolts slide cap off shaft, check seal rings on the shaft and the inside of cap for heavy groves worn in it. We would hand pump oil pressure back to the clutch pack, if leakage amounts high in that circut, broken shaft,clutch pack piston, worn disks and plates, snap ring out of piston, maybe a repair before and never lined up the shaft holes with the clutch pack ?. You can hand pump thru the end cap but really need the adapter for shaft with new rings or a cap that is good to insure the test findings, also if hand pumping should do all before going in the trans so you know. Pressure on the trans is 225-260 psi on the 450, 450b jumped 250-310 psi. s/n would help and also any gaskets removed under the caps should be treated as shims as thickness for end play. Hope this helps with more info if needed.