Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 starter motor replacement

ianto36 · 2020-03-03 14:40

Ok my Case 450 track loader is fighting me every step of the way and I'm starting to think I've bought the cousin of "killdozer", it threw a track off and I was pricing up the track adjuster seals and was quoted £400 for the two sides here in the UK, replaced the track and started to track up the bank where I keep it in the quarry, it died and stopped as if it ran out of diesel but the tank was reasonably full, then the starter would not turn, i'm hoping its a starter problem and not an engine problem! My question is what is the replacement starter that I can purchase for the 188 diesel? Thanks Ian

Replies8
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-03-04 09:57

    What is your s/n please

  2. #2Bill Edwards2020-03-05 18:34

    Are you sure it's a 188 diesel? I ask as the 450's that I have seen were fitted with David Brown 990 engines in the UK, even though the standard workshop manual says nothing on this. If in doubt look at the engine (starter motor side), the David Brown engines have their name cast into the block below the cylinder head. Can't you get your starter motor checked out by a starter specialist, it may be a very minor problem and usually works out much cheaper than a replacement. Have you tried turning the engine by the fan? With the starter removed you should be able to get it moving with a bar onto the flywheel. Have you tried turning the engine since it cooled down, if it overheated this can make them seize and when they cool down they turn again. Many things to check...

  3. #3ianto362020-03-09 17:27

    Thanks for replying! It's definitely a 188 diesel and I have since removed the starter motor and it is currently being checked for any problems, with the starter out we were able to turn the flywheel with a screwdriver so its not seized thankfully, I'm thinking it is a duff battery but getting the starter checked out as first port of call. Ian

  4. #4ianto362020-03-09 17:30

    Hi the serial number is 3970228? Thanks Ian

  5. #5Bill Edwards2020-03-12 17:15

    Also check all the wiring connections at the battery and starter motor itself, even if they look OK you can have a bad connection that stops it turning over. Voltage drop tests are the best way of checking them. Hopefully it is just something electrical, but why did it stop in the first place? Fingers crossed for you.

  6. #6ianto362020-03-12 17:19

    Hi Bill I was tracking uphill in the quarry and it started to peter out as if it was fuel starvation, could not restart it, been working on it all day and as you say I think it is bad electrical connection and battery! Also stripped off dynamo while i wa there and it is in a bad shape, full of dust and grease, the amatures are really clogged, I have been looking for a replacement, its a BoschBosch

  7. #7Bill Edwards2020-03-14 05:11

    Unless the windings are actually damaged it may just need a good clean and new bearings and brushes? I must be lucky as my local guy for these things is usually able to fix them and if he can't he will source a replacement at a price that's always very reasonable. He's a couple of hundred miles from you though! Have you got numbers on there to search for? Sometimes I find that if a dynamo is completely knackered it can be easier to fit an alternator - Lucas ACR ones are common and not that expensive and if you can easily alter the brackets to fit then it sometimes works out easier.

  8. #8ianto362020-03-15 05:26

    Thanks for your info Bill! You were spot on with your diagnosis, I stripped the dynamo down gave the armature a good clean and tried it, it did start smoking but I stripped it back down and I had got one of the brush leads shorting out on the armature so re-sited it and its working like a good in, need to clean up the voltage regulator next and I think I will do a rewire to complete the system Thanks Ian