Normally it starts quickly but not today. I have good fuel flow into injector pump but nothing on high pressure side. Return line is clear also. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Track loader like bulldozer track loader or compact track loader like skid steer loader on tracks? serial number? Does it have electric shutoff, if so is it getting power, and do you hear a click when you turn the key on and off? Anything happen to it or done to it after it last ran? Sometimes the rotary head will sieze in the injector pump and the shaft shears, worst case.
like bull dozer. Made around 1971. Has mechanical fuel shut off (cable operated). I also verified pump is turning when engine is cranking.
OKay. How did you verify?
I removed timing mark cover and can see pump rotating.
The shut off mechanism inside the injector pump could be stuck. You will need to remove the top cover to check. Have a look at this thread . It's about a 580CK backhoe, using the same fuel system as your 450.
I checked pump rotation again today with better light and the return valve closed so no fuel was running out of the timing mark cover. I was able to see that the pump is not turning so it must be a sheared shaft?
Sounds like, either the shaft has sheared or the key for the drive gear... if you are sure the disk with the timing mark on it isn't rotating, then I would think it's time for an injector pump rebuild and a new shaft?
The disk with the timing mark is definitely not turning. Would the sheared shaft or key be caused by the pump seizing and if so is that pump rebuildable. Or, can the shaft / key fail due to age?
Okay, so you got one stationary timing mark, but the other isn't coming around, yeah? I suppose anything is possible but every one I've seen shear was caused by a seized rotor in the distributor head. Usually caused by water or dirt in the fuel getting in there, or sometimes a splash of cold water while the unit was hot. Plugged injector might do it. Or someone over tightening the injector line bolts trying to stop a leak, warps the cylinder. Extremely tight tolerances in there to keep pressures up, not much room for error. Any failed pump can be rebuilt usually, sometimes a reman is the sensible way to go though. Where's The Pump Guy or one of the other fuel injection gurus when you need them? I know TPG has been out with back surgery though...
You mentioned a splash of cold water could cause this and I got the same response on another forum. One week ago it ran perfectly but I got caught in a heavy thunderstorm, had to shut it down and leave it in the rain. Then one week later it would not start. Maybe that caused the shaft to fail. The injector pump itself has less than 500 hours. Don't know when shaft was replaced. And yes, I see the stationary mark but the other does not come around.
Low hour pumps have tighter tolerances, pumps tend to fail at near new or near wore out it seems. Might have been a speck of dirt or a little water in the fuel, remotely possible it was cold rain, if she was at operating temp when the rain hit. If you pop it off and take it to a pump shop maybe they can tell you. I don't know for sure on yours but most of the shafts have a section that's machined down to about half the diameter, that section acts as a fuse in case the pump seizes so it doesn't wipe out the timing gears.
Yes it has a small dia section in the shaft. I'll pull the pump next week. Thanks for the info.
I would try to put it in time first, both the 188 and the 207 are timed at 8* BTDC on the 450, remove the valve cover and check the valves on the rock with #1 at tdc. It would be better to do the access cover on the front cover, and prepare to loosen the nut and washer while the pump is still in place if you think it has a broken shaft, there is also a spring and plunger in the end of the shaft that you need to retain and not let it jump out into thin air while removing the cover and before loosening the nut. Make sure you have a good mark on the pump to front housing also to help on the install with your pump, and tie the throttle shaft back before sliding the shaft out. You may get lucky and find a key sheared and not have to do a pump rebuild.
Thanks for the information. I'm planning to follow your advice. Also, I see you are in Wilmington NC. That is my hometown.
I removed pump and key was sheared. Pump would only rotate 1/4 turn. Waiting on a quote to rebuild pump.
That sucks, sorry to hear it.
Screw inside injector pump backed out and head sheared off. This sheared drive gear key. I guess is was a coincidence that it happened at start up. Had pump rebuilt and replaced key. Now we are running again. I appreciated the input from you guys. This was my first repair on a diesel so it was really nice to hear the engine come back to life.
Good job! :drinkup