Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 Turn Sprockets

wb8reh ยท 2016-11-15 17:49

Hi folks Well I am getting my new undercarriage parts assembled and removing the old rusted parts. I have a 1970 Case 450 dozer the sprockets are hard to turn by hand the unit is of course not running. It is almost like something lets go then I can move it a little and I have to keep doing that, is this normal I do not think the brakes are holding it but it could be. Is that the way the clutch packs work.Some enlightenment would be appreciated Thank You Jim

Replies3
  1. #1sheepfoot2016-11-15 19:46

    You spinning several gears and also the shaft that the brakes are mounted on so your going to feel some drag depending on how tight the brake adjustment is and if it's been sitting maybe some rust in there. You may need to check the parking brake cable and lever also, may be holding some drag on it.

  2. #2wb8reh2016-11-16 07:46

    Hi Sheepfoot Thank you The emergency brake assembly is missing. I have backed off the slave cylinder brake adjustment too. I use a large screwdriver or pry bar and the sprocket will break free but only turns little bit then is tight again so probably the disk brakes are tight. I was not sure it it would free wheel or not as I have never worked on a dozer before. I am having quite a work out getting the old rusted grade 8 bolts out removing the rail. I ran the dozer for few days after I bought it. It free wheeled down the hill just fine. However the undercarriage is wore out.

  3. #3born2ride2016-12-29 22:00

    You have any pictures of the work you are doing? I am thinking about doing mine. Needs some undercarriage work!