Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450 turning problem

Caseman91 · 2019-12-08 18:13

I have a 1973 case 450 dozer that does not turn to the left by having the right stick in high and the left stick in low. It just moves straight forward. I can apply left peddle and force it to turn but it’s reluctant to do so. Same story in reverse. If I have both sticks in high and reverse the machine seems to work hard to back up unless I apply slight right break peddle, then the machine speeds up and engine rpms increase also. Maybe 200 rpms? If put both sticks in low going forward I can push a mountain. In reverse though it backs up slightly to the right with both sticks still in low. Over a distance of about 50 feet, it will be about offset to the right about the width of the track. I’m guessing the right side track clutch’s must be bad or not functioning properly? I have check all screens and changed fluid. There was some metallic flakes but nothing alarming. Maybe fifty flakes the size of a ball point pen between the suck screen in the transmission, in-line screen before the charge pump and the return filter. Can someone point me in the direction to start?? I’m mechanically inclined but never been around dozers. I have the service manual but I’m not sure where to start.

Replies17
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2019-12-18 18:46

    It kind of sounds like you may have seal rings broken or damaged on end of shaft or as you said the one clutch could be bad.

  2. #2Caseman912019-12-18 22:55

    Could you expand on the seal rings? Would they be in transmission control valve on top of the transmission? I have the manual but I do not see any indication of seals on the control spools?

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2019-12-19 06:41

    The seal rings are on the end of the clutch shafts. There are caps that cover the clutch shafts on the front of the transmission, they are held on by three bolts, right behind the brake housing. Item 22 in diagram above ItemIte Items33 are the rings that go on the end of shaft

  4. #4Caseman912019-12-19 07:57

    Copy that! I’ll do some investigation and let you know. Thank you for your help!

  5. #5Caseman912019-12-21 19:24

    When removing the high low shaft cover, it should just slip off correct?? I’m having a very hard time getting mine off and I’m afraid I’m missing something?

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2019-12-21 21:52

    It shouldn't be that hard to come off. There may be some damage to the cap, the ring are bad about cutting grooves into the cap. You may have to just pry it off and break the rings.

  7. #7Caseman912019-12-22 18:57

    So I got the cap off and this is what I found. Do you think that I possibly caused the damn in the cap taking it off? Is the cap serviceable or do I have to buy a complete new one? The end of the shaft doesn’t look good either I’m hoping it’s savable??? Thank you for any insight and help!

  8. #8alrman2019-12-22 19:26

    It looks to me that it has failed previously, has been repaired (not very well) & failed again. The cap has been sleeved. The shaft ring grooves are repairable by machining out the grooves, welding them & machining new grooves. By the looks of the shaft, I would guess someone has had a go at doing that & the weld was machined too thin & has separated from the shaft - gouging the shaft & cap. Needless to say to carry out an effective repair to the shaft, it will need to be removed from the transmission - which will probably be a good thing to look at the clutch packs as both high & low would have been getting pressure at the same time & causing one to drag against the other while being operated, for who knows how long?

  9. #9Caseman912019-12-22 21:32

    I wondered if that sleeve was supposed to be there. I don’t believe it has been doing it for very long as there was not many metallic shavings (There was a lot don’t get me wrong but not as much as I would think if it had been that way for a while) in the filter when I cut it open. I think it started acting up and the gentleman I bought it from tripped it. So I maybe will use this dozer a total of 30 hours a year. Do you think I could get away with just buying a new cap, oil control rings just run it and get away with it????

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2019-12-22 22:01

    Looks like a transmission job in your near future, the shaft will have to come out as Alrman said.

  11. #11Caseman912019-12-22 22:24

    No vote of confidence for just new cap and oil control rings

  12. #12alrman2019-12-23 00:21

    The oil control ring has a hook arrangement to join the two ends together. If the groove is too worn, the hook will come undone & the oil pressure will not be controlled. Plus the roughness/erosion of the groove wall - it likely won't control the oil pressure very well either. So, not very confident about it at all. But, 30hrs a year isn't very many, you might try it & see how it goes.

  13. #13Caseman912019-12-23 09:31

    I feel it’s a long shot too but I’m gonna clean up the groove where the control rings go and put a new end cover on it. I should know right off the get go if it’s gonna hold or not and at the very least it will be able to walk itself on to the trailer to go to the shop

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2019-12-25 14:14

    You can try it what do you have to loose.

  15. #15Caseman912019-12-25 14:28

    I am waiting on parts to get here. I’m gonna file out the groove for the control ring so that it fits in there nice. Then jb weld in the damaged spot on the shaft, do my best not to jb weld the oil control ring in. Put a new cover on it and pray for the best! I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ll keep you posted on how it goes! Merry Christmas!!

  16. #16Caseman912020-01-25 20:35

    Okay!!! Sorry it took me a month to get back to you guys! Got the new cap and oil control rings. Filed the grove for the oil control ring to set nicely in and put the new cap on. It worked flawless for the hour or so I messed with it! Thank you for everyone’s help! PS: anyone know where I can find a paper copy of a case 590 turbo backhoe shop manual????

  17. #17alrman2020-01-26 19:22

    Fingers crossed it holds for a reasonable time for you. Re the printed manual - EBay is always a good place to start.