Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450B Operation

CASE CRAZY ยท 2011-12-19 20:52

Hello folks, i posted earlier last week . I was working on my Case 450B dozer, i replaced a transmission seal, changed trans fluid, filters , and cleaned out the belly pans. I ran for about two hours yesterday and all day today doing some clearing around my field and re-doing a creek crossing. Just wanted to give a update and say that the dozer is doing great. I do have one question, what is the lever for rhat comes up thru the floor board to the left of the forward/reverse shifter?? And thank you guys again for the helpful information

Replies9
  1. #1bpogue2011-12-19 21:23

    Could it be the high/low lever for the drive?

  2. #2CASE CRAZY2011-12-19 21:37

    Well, that i dont know, i know the steering sticks will throw it into high or low range, dunno??

  3. #3CaseFan132011-12-19 21:55

    I know that there is a high/low range that splits the gears even farther. When you're sitting on the machine it should be behind your left foot next to the shift column.

  4. #4CASE CRAZY2011-12-19 22:16

    I guess i could move the shifter and see, thanks case fan, and yes the shifter im talkin about is by the left foot near the forward/reverse shifter, i did not know that was, never had moved shifter

  5. #5alrman2011-12-19 23:08

    It is a mechanical 2 speed, can only be changed while engine is stopped. Best to put it in low range (for working) & leave it there, high range (for travelling) will just wear out your tracks & rattle machine to pieces. As to which way the lever is for high or low - not sure, betting it is in low. Often the levers get siezed into position as they never get used......

  6. #6bigshow2011-12-20 06:22

    Pushing down on the lever puts the tractor into low range, pulling up on it puts it into high, like alrman said, most of them seize up and can't be moved or a contractor doesn't want there tractor high-balled and intentionally locks it into the low side.

  7. #7melben2011-12-21 17:15

    We had several of these in rental applications in years past, after several calls to correct trans overheating /low push power, we placed the trans lo/hi lever in lo and cut the lever off flush with the floor. Cut service calls drastically. Mel.

  8. #8Randy882011-12-21 20:42

    Some call it first and third with it in the low side and second and fourth when the lever is in high, just depends on who your talking to, the later models had that lever up on the shifter console and was fully power shift in all four gears along with high neutral and low on the track speeds, gave a much greater selection on gears and speeds. But I like whatever I'm operating at the time I'm sitting in the seat, its just what you get used to I guess, my E models have all the gears my C's have the shifter lever like you have on the 450.

  9. #9CASE CRAZY2011-12-22 12:16

    Thanks for the info. guys, think ill just forget about that high side of rhe gears and save my undercarriage. Thanks again for the input.