Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 450B radiator – where can I find one

bobfinch ยท 2013-08-29 20:11

Hi, As this is my first post, I hope it's in the right place. I stupidly ran a stump up through the protective grill and into the bottom of my radiator. I've taken it to a good radiator shop and they say that the bottom pan is completely shot, the top pan is in really bad shape, and it would need a new core. I haven't been able to find a 3rd party replacement, and so it looks like my options are a custom built for about $1,400 or an OEM new for about $2,200. These both seem like really bad options for an old dozer. I can't seem to find any old tractor/dozer graveyards to scavenge through. Does anyone have any suggestions that I might not have thought of? Thanks, Bob

Replies9
  1. #1willie592013-08-29 21:32

    Welcome to HEF bobfinch. :drinkup Try the dismantled listings on Machinery Trader. > http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=CASE&Mdltxt=450B&mdlx=exact

  2. #2dirthog2013-08-30 08:55

    Try brokentractor.com they show a new one for a 450 for $825.00

  3. #3Delmer2013-08-30 10:09

    Depending on how redneck you want it to be: you could pull one off a junk tractor or even an old truck. You might need to get creative with the mounts and hoses, but it will work.

  4. #4bobfinch2013-08-30 13:52

    I suppose I could get pretty redneck to save $2,000 . The original unit has transmission cooler connections. How would I best figure out cooling capacity, and the tranny cooler to figure what to start with? Also, thanks for the other replies. Some I've tried, some I'm now working on. Unfortunately, brokentractor.com was for a 450, not a a 450B. Bob

  5. #5Tinkerer2013-08-30 14:41

    Here is a link to large dealer that I have had good luck with for salvaged parts. Randy is the boneyard guru. http://www.farmlandtractor.com/

  6. #6bobfinch2013-09-04 12:31

    Thanks everyone. Willie59, I used your list, and called the folks that I hadn't already discovered. I found a used radiator in great shape for $350 plus shipping. Should arrive next week. Couldn't be happier. Thanks again.

  7. #7willie592013-09-04 20:24

    Sounds like party time to me! :drinkup

  8. #8digger242j2013-09-04 23:07

    Yeah. He could spend 500 bucks throwing a big HEF party and still be money ahead.

  9. #9willie592013-09-04 23:13

    True, but I'm hoping it turns out to be a workable radiator at a good price that he was able to find with a little help from HEF. If so, that alone merits hoisting a mug for me. :drinkup