Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CASE 450B tranny issues

wayburn ยท 2019-05-15 22:43

I have just purchased a 1978 Case 450B loader showing 3000 hours and although I did a lot of research and read many posts on what to look for I did not do my due diligence when making the purchase. The unit looked good, it started, ran and steered well, and the tracks are good but... I have 2 issues. 1st I have to park with the front of the unit facing downhill when I shutdown or the unit will not move when I restart. I knew this going in but made the deal anyway it ran so well. 2nd issue is worse. When it was delivered, I checked all fluids and tranny was 3 gal low. Added tranny fluid and ran unit for about an hour. Beautiful experience but when I parked it noticed that what I think is tranny fluid was leaking....no pouring.....no a waterfall from the right rear underside of the unit. Originally I was hoping the low fluid was the problem for the 1st issue but not so. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2019-05-16 00:38

    Welcome to HEF @wayburn Your first problem is the transmission charge pump is losing prime, maybe due to suction hoses not sealing well due to old age & hardness, OR it could be a leaking oring/s at a suction line fitting OR the pump itself is worn & sucking air from the input shaft. Your second problem will require you removing floor plates, seat, bellypans, what ever else is required, till you get to see where the oil is leaking from - most likely, but not necessarily a hose. You never know! The problems may be related?? Welcome to the world of repairing machinery!

  2. #2Tinkerer2019-05-16 07:56

    Welcome to HEF, wayburn !

  3. #3wayburn2019-05-16 08:21

    Thank you so much for the info. As I said I can deal with the parking downhill but the leaking of massive amounts of hydro is unacceptable. Thank the Lord I have a shop to work in. Unlike some of the poor souls I have watched on you tube working outside in the snow. They are truly brave men. Removing panels, covers was my next step along with changing all filters and adding new hydro. I do most of my own maintenance on my home and autos but this is new to me. I have learned to fight the battles I can win. Thanks again. I will post when I find out where the leak is coming from.

  4. #4wayburn2019-05-20 22:20

    @alrman ......what a wonderful day it has been. Finished installing 2 Hydro lines 1 tranny and 1 that comes out of the bucket controller (it was the worst leak) down and under the engine out of sight and VIOLA!!! No more leak. I lost about 3 gal in my 30 minute workout. The bucket would barely raise high enough to install the safety collar on the bucket ram. I laid down 6 mil plastic before bringing it into the shop and used a whole bag of oil dry on top of and around the unit. I figure I lost a couple more quarts starting up after removing floorboard, seat, and Hydro side panel looking for and finding the leaking hoses. I think they were original. 41 years old still had CASE yellow paint on them. Next a good power washing and will work on brakes. Then I will work on the charge pump losing prime. I am expecting that to be a little tougher. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated