Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C, mixing old and new bottom rollers

MG84 ยท 2024-01-15 14:52

I've got a bad bottom track roller on my Case 450C wide track dozer, rear most roller on the right. I have a new one to replace it with but trying to decide if that is a good idea to mix new and old rollers due to the difference in height. The dozer has 2700hrs on it and I believe the undercarriage is original, according to the previous (2nd) owner, but who knows on a machine of this age. I have a shop manual and it gives dimensions of all the parts new, but doesn't list any specs for wear limits. It say the limits are printed on the wear gauge part # CAS-1350A, which of course I don't have. Old roller directly ahead of the bad one is 5.93" dia, new one is 6.10" dia. Is that too much of a difference? I'd like to not spend $3000 on all new bottom rollers when the rest of them still may have a lot of life left. I only put about 200hrs a year on the machine. Also if anyone has the undercarriage wear specs printed on the back of that gauge I'd love to have them. Thanks in advance.

Replies14
  1. #11693TA2024-01-15 15:01

    That's not even 3/16" difference so I would probably run it out. I have no idea to spec's but that just doesn't seem enough to be concerned with for a low usage type machine.

  2. #2MG842024-01-15 16:25

    That's kind of what I was thinking, just wanted some confirmation. Here's some pics of the undercarriage, any commentary on condition is welcome.

  3. #3MG842024-01-15 16:29

    Few more... Couldn't get a clear pic of the track bushings, but by feel they are almost completely round, just a very slight flat spot of the drive side.

  4. #41693TA2024-01-15 16:43

    Roller in the top photo looks on it's last legs unless parallax error with the camera. Teeth have a bit of stretch to them but probably alright to run for several more years with use you will give it. Teeth are not spalling, or mashing out badly which I think is good.

  5. #5MG842024-01-15 16:45

    Yeah that isn't a good photo of the top roller, in person it looks pretty normal.

  6. #6bhtn2024-01-17 13:09

    I'd put the new roller on and run it personally. FYI be very careful loosening the bottom roller bolts. As careful as you can possibly be. Clean the area where the bolt goes through the frame and soak in penetrating oil from above if you can. I would consider heating them if they don't spin right out. It is NO fun getting broken ones out from the bottom side. I had a 550LT and we had to deal with several broken bolts.

  7. #7Mcrafty12024-01-17 19:42

    I say put the new roller on and forget about it, at 200 hrs. a year you won't be doing anything to that undercarriage for a very long time.

  8. #8MG842024-01-17 21:11

    Sounds good. 10-4 on the bolts, they've been in there since new in '87. I expect them to put up a fight but maybe I'll get lucky. I'll probably heat the bolts cherry red, then let them cool completely, then spray with some freeze-out penetrating oil, impact gun on a low setting and hope for the best...

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-01-17 22:12

    Pound them with a hammer before you try to loosen them.

  10. #10MG842024-01-18 18:27

    Got the bolts out without incident, heated the track frames around the bolts for 1-2min with the torch, then sprayed the bolt head with 'freeze-out' penetrating oil for 20 seconds to super cool them (air duster in a can works too,) then gave them a whack with the hammer. All four came out with the impact fairly easy. Chased the threads, installed new roller and reassembled with new grade 8 bolts and loctite.

  11. #11Nige2024-01-18 18:34

    Did the old bolts have Loctite.? If not you might have been better putting anti-seize on them. I don't know what Case recommend but I'd bet money it's not Loctite or similar. Let's face it if anything goes South with that replacement roller you're the one who has to get them out next time.

  12. #12Welder Dave2024-01-18 21:57

    I used blue (oil tolerant) Loctite on the bottom roller bolts. The shop that did my engine and also does undercarriage said the loctite also acts as anti-seize to prevent the bolts rusting in place. Blue Loctite doesn't need heat to remove.

  13. #13MG842024-01-19 00:08

    This. I use blue loctite on most undercarriage related bolts, prevents them from backing out and from rusting in place. Other than that I am a religious user of antisieze.

  14. #14Mcrafty12024-01-19 05:53

    That's the first time I've ever heard of putting Loctite on track roller bolts, any if ever dealt with lock themselves in tight all by themselves. Neversieze always goes on the ones I replace. I suppose anything between the two surfaces is better than nothing. Glad it all worked out for you.