Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 450C transmission bearing noise…how to repair?

texas450c ยท 2015-11-26 15:56

Hi, I picked up a generally decent CASE 450C recently for $7000, figuring I could afford a few repairs getting it at that price. All is well, except now I am using it a lot and can hear a distinct worn-bearing type noise when pushing a load in the low speed setting (meaning the low setting on the steering sticks and not the hi-lo gear on the input shaft). The noise is somewhat similar to the sound of a stick shift car when driven fast in reverse. The noise vanishes when pushing the sticks forward into the high setting. Does anyone have a clear idea what this sound is likely to be (i.e. which bearing), and whether this bearing repair is possible with the transmission in the frame? I should also ask if a certain amount of this noise is normal in any way due to the low speed gearing? The machine has 5716 hours on it. Many thanks for any help!

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2015-11-27 18:16

    Welcome to HEF texas450c! It's very hard to say without actually hearing your machine. If there is any problem with the transmission the suction screen will usually tell you a story.... look there first. They don't really change noise levels too much between ranges, so there may very well be something going on with it. Has it sat a while before you bought it? I have seen nasty rust issues occur on gear teeth in such situations... PS - there is not too much that can be repaired in frame, apart from brakes, anything else & it is best removed. The transmission needs to be on it's back to remove the front cover.

  2. #2texas450c2015-11-27 18:57

    Thanks alrman! Yes the dozer had sat for about a year (so they told me). I guess it may be a rust type issue. I changed all hydraulic fluids though they seemed to be in good shape as far as not having water evident in them. You made reference to it, but should I assume that no different bearings are being used between hi and low speed? If that it is true then might it just be noise coming from gear teeth being rusted/pitted or just plain worn?

  3. #3alrman2015-11-27 20:01

    I can't really say that, if it was rusted, that it would create the noise you hear. I'm sorta thinking out loud When you say you replaced the all hydraulic fluids - does that include the transmission & final drive (x2) oils? Was the suction screen/filter inspected?

  4. #4texas450c2015-11-27 21:17

    I did not inspect the suction screen... Will do that, thx. I replaced all other fluids but just checked the level on the final drives. The oil looked good.